It seems that Microsoft doesn’t want to let Samsung have all the fun with wild social-networking rumors. Bloomberg on Thursday reported that Microsoft is in talks to buy Yammer, the “freemium” social networking site designed to foster more efficient collaboration among coworkers. Microsoft may pay upwards of $1 billion, unnamed sources told Bloomberg, putting the potential Yammer buy on par with Facebook’s recent acquisition of Instagram. Obviously buying Yammer would give Microsoft a strong social networking component to its Office suite since Microsoft would inherit millions of users across more than 200,000 different companies. The deal for Yammer could be finished as soon as this Friday, Bloomberg said.
Explore Related Content
- SoftBank could be interested in T-Mobile if Sprint deal fail …
- Today in business: 5 things you need to know
- Facebook looks to Samsung for help in wake of HTC First disa …
- UN: World population to reach 8.1 billion in 2025
- Google close to buying Israeli mapping start-up Waze: report
- Exclusive: SoftBank eyes T-Mobile US as ‘Plan B'
More Tech News
- Tennis-McEnroe calls for Nadal to be seeded four at Wimbledon
By Martyn Herman LONDON, June 18 (Reuters) - Wimbledon's seeding committee should use its power to promote 11-times grand slam champion Rafa Nadal into the top four, according to three-times former champion John McEnroe. Speaking the day before the seeds are announced for the grasscourt slam which starts on Monday, the American said it would be "totally wrong" if Nadal had to play world number one Novak Djokovic, defending champion Roger Federer or home favourite Andy Murray in the quarter-finals. ...
- Man charged with tossing wife off cruise ship
SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — A California grand jury has indicted a Florida man on charges he strangled his ex-wife and tossed her off a cruise ship in Italy.
- Kim and Kanye's Baby Name Is Not That Strange
It's being reported that rapper Kanye West and his reality star girlfriend Kim Kardashian have named their brand-new baby, born this weekend, Kaidence Donda West. Donda was Kanye's late mother's name, so that makes sense, but, um, Kaidence? What's going on with Kaidence?
- Bieber behind wheel as car hits man in Hollywood
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Video shows Justin Bieber running into a photographer with his white Ferrari in Hollywood, but police say there was no crime and the injuries aren't life-threatening.
- Suit: McDonald's wages put on costly debit card
Would you like fees with that? A Pennsylvania woman has filed suit to avoid fees she may be charged to get her McDonald's wages from a debit card. Single mom Natalie Gunshannon has filed suit over bank ...
- Miss Utah's Pageant Answer Is the Worst You've Ever Seen
The only time normal people seem to care about national beauty pageants is when one of the contestants messes up the question-and-answer round in the worst way possible. Well, it happened again last night at the Miss USA pageant, with Miss Utah giving an answer so bad that it eclipsed all other terrible pageant answers before her. Meet 21-year-old Marissa Powell. She is from Salt Lake City. And this is the full, cringe-worthy sequence you will be seeing a lot of this week:
- Melissa Etheridge Calls Angelina Jolie's Mastectomy 'the Most Fearful Choice You Can Make'
By Tony Maglio LOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - Melissa Etheridge believes Angelina Jolie jumped the gun with her double mastectomy. The singer, a breast cancer survivor, told The Washington Blade that she has the same BRCA gene mutation as Jolie. When asked about Jolie's choice to undergo a preventative double mastectomy, Etheridge called Jolie's decision "the most fearful choice you can make when confronting anything with cancer." "I wouldn't call it the brave choice," the singer said. ...
- 7-Eleven Stores Operated 'Modern Day Plantation System,' Feds Claim
9 People Charged With Wire Fraud, Stealing Identities and Harboring Undocumented Immigrants