Business users who want a more enterprise-oriented version of Windows 8 can soon upgrade their current machines to Windows 8 Pro for just $40, Microsoft announced today. Over at Microsoft’s Windows Blog, communications manager Brandon LeBlanc writes that the $40 upgrade will be available for download for any users whose machines run Windows XP, Windows Vista or Windows 7. Users who want the upgrade will need to use the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant that LeBlanc says will “will check to make sure your PC is ready for Windows 8” and “will provide a detailed compatibility report that lets you know of anything you may have to address before or after the upgrade and outlines actions to take.” Users who would prefer to install Windows 8 Pro onto their machines without the Upgrade Assistant can buy a packaged DVD version in stores for $70. The $40 upgrade will be available in 131 markets and the offer expires on January 31st, 2013.
Explore Related Content
- Microsoft will give away Office on smaller Windows 8 tablets
- Microsoft to add Outlook to Windows RT tablets
- Microsoft Didn't Need the Man Behind Windows 8 Anymore
- Despite Windows 8 drama, Microsoft’s Office 365 Home Premium …
- Video: Windows 8.1 to include new customization, improved search …
- Seven months after Windows 8′s launch, Vista still more popular …
More Tech News
- Man charged with tossing wife off cruise ship
SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — A California grand jury has indicted a Florida man on charges he strangled his ex-wife and tossed her off a cruise ship in Italy.
- Police: Paraplegic castrated at Philly facility
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A 41-year-old man is being held on $5 million bail after police say he castrated a paraplegic during a dispute at an assisted living facility in Philadelphia.
- Prison for Ohio woman who buried mom in yard
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A woman who quit her job to care for her elderly mother felt at a loss to support herself when the older woman died so she buried her in the yard of their Florida home and lived off her mother's Social Security checks for 14 years, her lawyers and federal authorities say.
- Stacy Keibler: How I Lost Weight Without Working Out
Stacy Keibler was able to lose weight without even working out - but it was far from easy!
- Father sentenced for binding kids outside Wal-Mart
LAWRENCE, Kan. (AP) — A suburban Chicago man was sentenced Wednesday to 30 months in prison for binding and blindfolding two of his children a year ago in a Wal-Mart parking lot in eastern Kansas.
- Kim and Kanye's Baby Name Is Not That Strange
It's being reported that rapper Kanye West and his reality star girlfriend Kim Kardashian have named their brand-new baby, born this weekend, Kaidence Donda West. Donda was Kanye's late mother's name, so that makes sense, but, um, Kaidence? What's going on with Kaidence?
- Wash. parents' ruse snares man wooing daughter
SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) — A father who discovered his 15-year-old daughter was being wooed on Facebook by a man twice her age took matters into his own hands.
- Bieber behind wheel as car hits man in Hollywood
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Video shows Justin Bieber running into a photographer with his white Ferrari in Hollywood, but police say there was no crime and the injuries aren't life-threatening.