Mont. man learns lessons after dog dines on $500

Associated Press
This March 27, 2013 photo shows Wayne Klinkel's golden retriever, Sundance, at their home in Montana City, Mont. Klinkel says his dog ate five $100 bills while he and his wife were on a road trip to visit their daughter. Klinkel says he carefully picked through the dog's droppings, and his daughter recovered more when snow melted. He says he washed the remnants of the bills and taped them together and sent them to the Treasury Department's Bureau of Engraving and Printing with an explanation of what happened. The bureau's website says an "experienced mutilated currency examiner" will determine if at least 51 percent of a bill is present and eligible for reimbursement. The process can take up to two years. (AP Photo/The Independent Record, Eliza Wiley)
.

View gallery

HELENA, Mont. (AP) — The Montana man whose dog ate $500 says he's going to find a better place to stash his cash when he travels.

Wayne Klinkel tells the Independent Record (http://bit.ly/16TPFGC) he doesn't carry a wallet on his chiropractor's advice.

Sundance, his 12-year-old golden retriever, ate the bills during a visit the Klinkels' daughter in Denver last Christmas.

Sundance was left alone in the car with five $100 bills and a $1 bill when they stopped for dinner.

The dog dined on the $100 bills, but left the dollar.

Klinkel says he collected fragments from the dog's droppings. His daughter found more when the snow melted.

He says he washed the remnants of the bills and sent them taped together to the Treasury Department in hopes of having them replaced.

View Comments (21)