More Ala. counties eligible for hurricane aid

Associated Press

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Alabama's governor says five more counties will be eligible for federal aid aimed at helping communities recover from damage caused by Hurricane Isaac.

Gov. Robert Bentley said in a statement Thursday that the Federal Emergency Management Agency has approved the request.

Bentley had sent a letter to FEMA saying the five counties -- Covington, Dallas, Geneva, Monroe and Perry -- suffered $2.5 million in damage.

The five counties are now added to the list of counties that were already able to apply for federal public assistance. Baldwin, Mobile and Pickens counties had previously been approved for aid.

The public assistance provides for debris removal, emergency protective measures, and the repair or replacement of public facilities and some non-profit facilities damaged by the hurricane.

View Comments (0)