News of Pistorius leaves many in disbelief

Associated Press
Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius leaves the Boschkop police station, east of Pretoria, South Africa, Thursday, Feb. 14, 2013 en route to appear in court charged with murder.  Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius was taken into custody and was expected to appear in court Thursday, after a 30-year-old woman who was believed to be his girlfriend was shot dead at his home in South Africa's capital, Pretoria. (AP Photo/Chris Collingridge) SOUTH AFRICA OUT
.

View gallery

LONDON (AP) — Out in the small Italian town of Gemona, among many places around the world, the arrest of Oscar Pistorius on murder charges was hard to believe.

It was on a new track in the northeastern corner of Italy that the double-amputee from South Africa trained last year for his Olympic debut, running lap after lap on his Cheetah Flex-Foot blades in preparation for his trip to the world's biggest sporting event.

On Thursday, shortly after Pistorius was charged in South Africa with the shooting death of his girlfriend, model Reeva Steenkamp, the mayor of Gemona said it was tough to take.

"The news shocked not only me personally but also the whole of Gemona and the region. It's come as a huge shock to everyone who knew him," Mayor Paolo Urbani told The Associated Press. "I have to say Oscar was an exceptional testimonial for our project, helping the city take forward its sporting plans. He's a delightful person, not only as a sportsman but also how he is as a human being. The news is still very fragmentary and we're waiting to hear more, to find out exactly what happened."

Pistorius fought for years to be able to compete against able-bodied athletes after many said his carbon-fiber blades gave him an unfair advantage. He finally won his case in 2008, but failed to run the qualifying time for the Beijing Olympics.

He did, however, make South Africa's team for last year's London Olympics, reaching the semifinals in the 400 meters and then running for South Africa's 4x400 relay team in the final.

The International Olympic Committee and International Paralympic Committee each had little to say about the case.

"This is not the moment for the IOC to be commenting on this tragic incident. Our thoughts are with the families affected and we send them our deepest sympathies," the IOC said in a statement.

The IPC said it was "police matter."

"Therefore it would be inappropriate for the IPC to comment on this incident until the official police process has concluded," the IPC said in a statement on its website. "The IPC would like to offer its deepest sympathy and condolences to all families involved in this case."

The South African Olympic committee released a statement saying they had been "inundated" with requests for comment but were not in a position to give out any details of the shooting.

"SASCOC, like the rest of the public, knows no more than what is in the public domain," the group said. "The organization is in no position to comment on the incident other than to say our deepest sympathy and condolences have been expressed to the families of all concerned."

Pistorius' father, Henke, declined to comment when contacted by the AP, saying only "we all pray for guidance and strength for Oscar and the lady's parents."

Agent Peet van Zyl and coach Ampie Louw couldn't be reached, while Pistorius' cellphone went straight to voicemail.

Former 100-meter world record-holder Asafa Powell tweeted about Steenkamp's death.

"Sad news about (at)oscarpistorius & fatal shooting of his girlfriend he's a true inspiration & amazing athlete. A real tragedy for all," Powell wrote.

Pistorius became an inspiration to many by overcoming his disability to compete at the highest level. Born without fibula bones due to a congenital defect, he had his legs ampuated at 11 months. But he still played sports, including rugby.

"It's incredible for anyone involved with Oscar, especially his family," Former Italian pole vaulter Andrea Giannini, who coached Pistorius from 2009-11, told the AP. "I knew Oscar well. I'm hoping it was just a tragic accident. He's a marvelous person, a really sweet and calm guy. It seemed like this was a calm time for him. He seemed really happy and well-balanced."

___

AP Sports Writers Stephen Wilson in London, Andrew Dampf in Schladming, Austria, and Gerald Imray in Cape Town, South Africa, and Associated Press writer Daniella Matar in Milan, contributed to this report.

Sorry you didn't like this comment. Please provide a reason below.

Are you sure?
Rating failed. Try again.
Request failed. Try again.
We will promote constructive and witty comments to the top, so everyone sees them!
Sorry, we can’t load comments right now. Try again.

    Recommended for You

    • Sexist, vulgar posts on women's marches rebound on officials

      A school board member in Hillary Clinton's hometown resigned after making a derogatory reference on Twitter to the female anatomy in describing women marching against President Donald Trump. An Illinois ...

      Associated Press 43 min ago
    • Minnesota Governor Reveals Cancer Diagnosis a Day After Fainting in Middle of Speech

      Gov. Mark Dayton made the shocking announcement the day after he passed out while delivering the state of the state address.

      Inside Edition
    • Wawrinka wins grudge match at Australian Open as Venus shines

      Stan Wawrinka won a bad-tempered clash with Jo-Wilfried Tsonga to reach the Australian Open semi-finals as Venus Williams' late-career surge sent her soaring into the last four on Tuesday. Wawrinka and France's Tsonga, who have been at odds in the past, argued heatedly at the first-set changeover and there was no love lost as the Swiss charged to a 7-6 (7/2), 6-4, 6-3 win. It puts 2014 champion Wawrinka, 31, into his third Melbourne semi-final where he will play the ever-popular Roger Federer, his Swiss compatriot, or Mischa Zverev.

      AFP
    • What's in the Box? Social Media Goes Wild Over Tiffany's Gift Melania Trump Gave Michelle Obama

      It led to an awkward exchange after Michelle Obama was unsure what to do with the gift.

      Inside Edition
    • Firebrand Iraq cleric warns US on Israel embassy move

      Moving the US embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem would be a declaration of war on Islam, influential Iraqi cleric Moqtada al-Sadr said Tuesday. "Transferring the US embassy to Jerusalem would be a public and more-explicit-than-ever declaration of war against Islam," he said in a statement. In a break with previous administrations, new US President Donald Trump has pledged to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital and relocate the US embassy there from Tel Aviv.

      AFP
    • Royals' Ventura killed in car crash in Dominican Republic

      KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Yordano Ventura quit school as a teenager so he could begin working a construction job to help his family make ends meet, laboring day after day in the hot sun of the Dominican Republic.

      Associated Press
    • Severe storms hit the South (32 photos)

      A powerful storm system plowed up the U.S. Eastern seaboard with torrential showers and high winds on Monday, hindering airline and rail travel, after killing at least 21 people in the South, many in mobile homes demolished by tornadoes. The storm, which unleashed deadly twisters in Mississippi and Georgia over the weekend, turned cooler as it advanced on the Northeast, where residents faced potential flooding, downed power lines and high surf late on Monday and early Tuesday, said Tim Morrin, the National Weather Service’s New York observation program leader.. Thunderstorms and tornadoes spawned by the same weather system killed 16 people on Sunday in Georgia, according to a tally by the Storm Prediction Center in Oklahoma. Four of those fatalities were confirmed, and a toddler was reported missing, in Dougherty County after a twister left a path of destruction up to a half mile wide. A trailer park was especially hard hit, and local authorities said they expected the death toll to rise. “It literally looks like God took half of the mobile home park and threw it across the street into the woods,” Dougherty County Commission Chair Chris Cohilas said at a news conference. Cohilas expressed frustration at the pace of the federal government in furnishing emergency help, calling it “disgraceful.” “I would ask President Trump to take some significant steps to cut through the red tape and get us some people on the damned ground,” he said at a news conference on Monday. Governor Nathan Deal, announcing that he extended a state emergency declaration to 16 Georgia counties, said Trump had called him on Sunday and promised he would be “ready and willing to respond” to an expected request for federal disaster relief. A tornado killed four people, three of them in mobile homes, in the southern Mississippi town of Hattiesburg on Saturday, and one person was reported killed in northern Florida when a tree toppled onto a house during a severe thunderstorm, authorities said. (Reuters) See more news-related photo galleries and follow us on Yahoo News Photo Tumblr .  

      Yahoo News Photo Staff
    • The Sig P320 is the U.S. Army's New Sidearm

      The new pistol replaces the 80s vintage M9 handgun.

      Popular Mechanics
    • Sheriff's Deputy Tried to Kill Elderly Woman He Nearly Swindled Out of $65,000: Cops

      Deputy Frankie Bybee, 49, allegedly tried stealing thousands of dollars from a 79-year-old Sarasota, Florida woman.

      Inside Edition
    • Chelsea Clinton shuts down trolls who targeted Barron Trump

      Former First Daughter Chelsea Clinton has spoken out in defence of Barron Trump, the US president's youngest son, after trolls targeted him with cruel memes online during the inauguration.  In a Facebook post Chelsea, who spent much of her teenage years in the spotlight while her dad Bill Clinton was president, said the 10-year-old "deserves the chance every child does-to be a kid".  But she also turned political: "Standing up for every kid also means opposing POTUS policies that hurt kids". Criticism of Barron's facial expressions and posture during the inauguration was widespread on social media, with people mocking him and calling him out for looking bored.  A Saturday Night Live writer even tweeted: "Barron will be this country's first homeschool shooter". The tweet was later deleted.  People on Facebook praised Chelsea for defending Barron while also expressing her political ideas:  BONUS: Donald Trump's inauguration address included a Bane quote ›

      Mashable
    • Minnesota Gov. Dayton, 69, collapses during speech

      ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Gov. Mark Dayton collapsed while delivering his State of the State speech on Monday, striking his head on a lectern. The 69-year-old Democrat appeared to be conscious as he was helped into a back room several minutes later, and a top staffer said he walked out of the Capitol under his own power.

      Associated Press
    • 'SNL' Writer Suspended for Controversial Tweet About Barron Trump

      "The View" co-hosts discuss the boundaries involving children of presidents.

      ABC News Videos
    • Go get a NES Classic at GameStop right now

      NES Classic consoles are slowly starting to trickle back into stores, and GameStop is the latest chain to get a new shipment of consoles. According to reports on Twitter, stores are limited to a couple consoles, and customers can only buy one console per person. A GameStop announcement said stock is "limited," so you're probably best to call your local store and confirm. The number of consoles each store gets depends on geographical location and size -- some have been getting over a dozen units, while smaller locations are limited to one or two. In any case, it's not an overwhelming number of units going on shelves, so you'd better get there quick. Across all retailers, this is looking like a good week for stock. Although it's still difficult to buy the console online -- Best Buy sold out in 20 minutes , last time there was some available -- in-store sales are looking up. Target and Walmart have both had significant shipments arrive, and ToysRUs is rumored to get a bunch of stock in later this week. Overall, things are looking better than during the Great Pre-Christmas NES Classic Shortage of 2016. If you're planning on staking out a store to get a console, we previously published a guide on how to get one from people who've done it successfully. This piece of advice from a user on NowInStock is still applicable: – BS [Ed note: Brickseek , another in-stock website] is very accurate if you know when to look and properly plan ahead. Walmart has been dry in my area so had to rely solely on Target, as I wasn’t certain that Walmart’s 11/22 order would go through in time for the holidays. When using BS for Target be sure to watch closely and refresh often from 8-9pm, through midnight. In my experience On-hand Qty was always one NES short compared to Saleable Qty; however, all On-hand products were sold. If you see Target’s inventory light up yellow/green online, don’t go rushing to the store before they close. That stock is to be sold the next day. Instead of running out at night, plan to arrive around 3:30-4:30am. The earlier the better. Tickets will be handed out between 5-7am. Results may vary..  

      BGR News
    • Supreme Court sets stage for Trump switch on voter IDs

      The Supreme Court on Monday morning cleared the way for the new Trump Administration to switch the government’s position – if it wishes to do so – to allow states to enforce strict photo ID requirements for America’s voters.

      National Constitution Center
    • Sponsor questions for Danica Patrick as NASCAR season nears

      CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Danica Patrick wore an all-white Tax Act uniform to NASCAR's preseason media event Tuesday, raising eyebrows about her sponsorship situation with the season just a month away.

      Associated Press
    • 12 bodies found in Mexican tourist town: officials

      A dozen bodies -- including seven that were headless and mutilated -- were discovered over the weekend in western Mexico's seaside resort of Manzanillo, apparent victims of the country's epidemic of drug violence, local officials said. It was a shocking turn of events for an area popular with American and other foreign tourists, which until now had largely been spared from the bloody drug wars wracking other parts of Mexico. Seven bodies were found early Saturday in an abandoned taxi on the road from Manzanillo to the town of Cihuatlan.

      AFP
    • Tesla Limits Newest Vehicles to a Maximum Self-Driving Speed of 45MPH

      Your brand-new Tesla is missing some self-driving features that were available last year, but that's promised to change.

      Road & Track
    • Man convicted of 3 murders as teen kills himself in prison

      CAMP HILL, Pa. (AP) — A man who broke into a classmate's home in 2007 and stabbed the teenager and his parents to death has killed himself in prison, authorities said Monday.

      Associated Press
    • Trump slapped with federal lawsuit in New York

      A group of American lawyers on Monday filed a federal lawsuit in New York against Donald Trump, accusing the US president of violating a constitutional ban on accepting payments from foreign governments. The Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) is pursuing Trump over his vast business holdings, from which the billionaire has refused to divest fully, saying that as president he can have no conflict of interest. CREW says Trump's business properties abroad operate based partly on goodwill from foreign governments and regulators, but that under the US Constitution no federal official can receive a gift or "emolument" from a foreign government.

      AFP
    • 2018 BMW M4: Light Updates (Literally)

      This year's evolution of the M4.

      Car and Driver