Newspaper runs headline referring to President Obama as N-word

Eric Pfeiffer Yahoo News

View photo

.
The West View News ran this op-ed using an offensive word to describe President Obama (West View News)

The West View News ran this op-ed using an offensive word to describe President Obama (West View News)

A local paper is making national headlines thanks to a questionable word choice in one of its own news headlines.

The West View News, a monthly paper in New York’s West Village with a circulation of around 20,000, ran an op-ed from author James Lincoln Collier titled “N----r in the White House.”

If the headline wasn't strange and shocking enough, the New York Post reports that the op-ed is actually a pro-Obama piece, in which Collier argues that, "far right voters hate Obama because he is black."

The Post included a photo of the article headline in its piece with the offending language blurred out.

The West View News ran an opposing view column below Collier’s piece by African American columnist Alvin Hall titled, "This headline offends me."

"The decision to use this headline feels misguided to me," Hall writes. "I don’t see how its use benefits anyone, but I do feel all too clearly how it deeply offends me."

It’s not the first time Collier, 86, has stoked controversy through his use of the N-word in publication. His 1981 historical novel Jump Ship to Freedom (co-written with his brother) uses the word repeatedly in its text. It was reportedly taken down from the shelves from several libraries over the years.

So, why did the paper decide to run a headline with such a controversial, and many might say, unnecessary, word choice? It might just come down to little more than a strange case of journalistic rivalry.

West View News editor George Capsis says Collier convinced him to use the word over objections from the paper’s editorial staff.

“In this article, however, Jim reminded me that the New York Times avoids using the word which convinced me that West View should,” Capsis says in an explanation published in the paper and reported by The Post.

The West View News has not formally responded to questions about the editorial and did not run a copy of it on its website.

Follow Eric Pfeiffer on Twitter (@ericpfeiffer)

Sorry you didn't like this comment. Please provide a reason below.

Are you sure?
Rating failed. Try again.
Request failed. Try again.
We will promote constructive and witty comments to the top, so everyone sees them!
Sorry, we can’t load comments right now. Try again.

    Recommended for You

    • US sent $221 million to Palestinians in Obama's last hours

      WASHINGTON (AP) — Officials say the Obama administration in its waning hours defied Republican opposition and quietly released $221 million to the Palestinian Authority that GOP members of Congress had been blocking.

      Associated Press
    • What's in the Box? Social Media Goes Wild Over Tiffany's Gift Melania Trump Gave Michelle Obama

      It led to an awkward exchange after Michelle Obama was unsure what to do with the gift.

      Inside Edition
    • Wawrinka wins grudge match at Australian Open as Venus shines

      Stan Wawrinka won a bad-tempered clash with Jo-Wilfried Tsonga to reach the Australian Open semi-finals as Venus Williams' late-career surge sent her soaring into the last four on Tuesday. Wawrinka and France's Tsonga, who have been at odds in the past, argued heatedly at the first-set changeover and there was no love lost as the Swiss charged to a 7-6 (7/2), 6-4, 6-3 win. It puts 2014 champion Wawrinka, 31, into his third Melbourne semi-final where he will play the ever-popular Roger Federer, his Swiss compatriot, or Mischa Zverev.

      AFP
    • Firebrand Iraq cleric warns US on Israel embassy move

      Moving the US embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem would be a declaration of war on Islam, influential Iraqi cleric Moqtada al-Sadr said Tuesday. "Transferring the US embassy to Jerusalem would be a public and more-explicit-than-ever declaration of war against Islam," he said in a statement. In a break with previous administrations, new US President Donald Trump has pledged to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital and relocate the US embassy there from Tel Aviv.

      AFP
    • Man convicted of 3 murders as teen kills himself in prison

      CAMP HILL, Pa. (AP) — A man who broke into a classmate's home in 2007 and stabbed the teenager and his parents to death has killed himself in prison, authorities said Monday.

      Associated Press
    • Severe storms hit the South (32 photos)

      A powerful storm system plowed up the U.S. Eastern seaboard with torrential showers and high winds on Monday, hindering airline and rail travel, after killing at least 21 people in the South, many in mobile homes demolished by tornadoes. The storm, which unleashed deadly twisters in Mississippi and Georgia over the weekend, turned cooler as it advanced on the Northeast, where residents faced potential flooding, downed power lines and high surf late on Monday and early Tuesday, said Tim Morrin, the National Weather Service’s New York observation program leader.. Thunderstorms and tornadoes spawned by the same weather system killed 16 people on Sunday in Georgia, according to a tally by the Storm Prediction Center in Oklahoma. Four of those fatalities were confirmed, and a toddler was reported missing, in Dougherty County after a twister left a path of destruction up to a half mile wide. A trailer park was especially hard hit, and local authorities said they expected the death toll to rise. “It literally looks like God took half of the mobile home park and threw it across the street into the woods,” Dougherty County Commission Chair Chris Cohilas said at a news conference. Cohilas expressed frustration at the pace of the federal government in furnishing emergency help, calling it “disgraceful.” “I would ask President Trump to take some significant steps to cut through the red tape and get us some people on the damned ground,” he said at a news conference on Monday. Governor Nathan Deal, announcing that he extended a state emergency declaration to 16 Georgia counties, said Trump had called him on Sunday and promised he would be “ready and willing to respond” to an expected request for federal disaster relief. A tornado killed four people, three of them in mobile homes, in the southern Mississippi town of Hattiesburg on Saturday, and one person was reported killed in northern Florida when a tree toppled onto a house during a severe thunderstorm, authorities said. (Reuters) See more news-related photo galleries and follow us on Yahoo News Photo Tumblr .  

      Yahoo News Photo Staff
    • Supreme Court sets stage for Trump switch on voter IDs

      The Supreme Court on Monday morning cleared the way for the new Trump Administration to switch the government’s position – if it wishes to do so – to allow states to enforce strict photo ID requirements for America’s voters.

      National Constitution Center
    • Royals' Ventura killed in car crash in Dominican Republic

      KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Yordano Ventura quit school as a teenager so he could begin working a construction job to help his family make ends meet, laboring day after day in the hot sun of the Dominican Republic.

      Associated Press
    • The Sig P320 is the U.S. Army's New Sidearm

      The new pistol replaces the 80s vintage M9 handgun.

      Popular Mechanics
    • Chelsea Clinton shuts down trolls who targeted Barron Trump

      Former First Daughter Chelsea Clinton has spoken out in defence of Barron Trump, the US president's youngest son, after trolls targeted him with cruel memes online during the inauguration.  In a Facebook post Chelsea, who spent much of her teenage years in the spotlight while her dad Bill Clinton was president, said the 10-year-old "deserves the chance every child does-to be a kid".  But she also turned political: "Standing up for every kid also means opposing POTUS policies that hurt kids". Criticism of Barron's facial expressions and posture during the inauguration was widespread on social media, with people mocking him and calling him out for looking bored.  A Saturday Night Live writer even tweeted: "Barron will be this country's first homeschool shooter". The tweet was later deleted.  People on Facebook praised Chelsea for defending Barron while also expressing her political ideas:  BONUS: Donald Trump's inauguration address included a Bane quote ›

      Mashable
    • Sheriff's Deputy Tried to Kill Elderly Woman He Nearly Swindled Out of $65,000: Cops

      Deputy Frankie Bybee, 49, allegedly tried stealing thousands of dollars from a 79-year-old Sarasota, Florida woman.

      Inside Edition
    • Minnesota Gov. Dayton, 69, collapses during speech

      ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Gov. Mark Dayton collapsed while delivering his State of the State speech on Monday, striking his head on a lectern. The 69-year-old Democrat appeared to be conscious as he was helped into a back room several minutes later, and a top staffer said he walked out of the Capitol under his own power.

      Associated Press
    • In photos: The bestselling cookbooks of 2016 (10 photos)

      Ina Garten's "Cooking for Jeffrey" was the bestselling cookbook of 2016, selling nearly 406,600 copies within two months of its release in late October.Described as her most personal cookery title yet, "Cooking for Jeffrey" is a compilation of recipes that Garten has been cooking or her husband over the last 48 years of their marriage.  Here are the top 10 selling cookbooks of 2016 in the US, according to Nielsen BookScan. 

      AFP Relax News
    • 12 bodies found in Mexican tourist town: officials

      A dozen bodies -- including seven that were headless and mutilated -- were discovered over the weekend in western Mexico's seaside resort of Manzanillo, apparent victims of the country's epidemic of drug violence, local officials said. It was a shocking turn of events for an area popular with American and other foreign tourists, which until now had largely been spared from the bloody drug wars wracking other parts of Mexico. Seven bodies were found early Saturday in an abandoned taxi on the road from Manzanillo to the town of Cihuatlan.

      AFP
    • 2018 BMW M4: Light Updates

      This year's evolution of the M4.

      Car and Driver
    • Go get a NES Classic at GameStop right now

      NES Classic consoles are slowly starting to trickle back into stores, and GameStop is the latest chain to get a new shipment of consoles. According to reports on Twitter, stores are limited to a couple consoles, and customers can only buy one console per person. A GameStop announcement said stock is "limited," so you're probably best to call your local store and confirm. The number of consoles each store gets depends on geographical location and size -- some have been getting over a dozen units, while smaller locations are limited to one or two. In any case, it's not an overwhelming number of units going on shelves, so you'd better get there quick. Across all retailers, this is looking like a good week for stock. Although it's still difficult to buy the console online -- Best Buy sold out in 20 minutes , last time there was some available -- in-store sales are looking up. Target and Walmart have both had significant shipments arrive, and ToysRUs is rumored to get a bunch of stock in later this week. Overall, things are looking better than during the Great Pre-Christmas NES Classic Shortage of 2016. If you're planning on staking out a store to get a console, we previously published a guide on how to get one from people who've done it successfully. This piece of advice from a user on NowInStock is still applicable: – BS [Ed note: Brickseek , another in-stock website] is very accurate if you know when to look and properly plan ahead. Walmart has been dry in my area so had to rely solely on Target, as I wasn’t certain that Walmart’s 11/22 order would go through in time for the holidays. When using BS for Target be sure to watch closely and refresh often from 8-9pm, through midnight. In my experience On-hand Qty was always one NES short compared to Saleable Qty; however, all On-hand products were sold. If you see Target’s inventory light up yellow/green online, don’t go rushing to the store before they close. That stock is to be sold the next day. Instead of running out at night, plan to arrive around 3:30-4:30am. The earlier the better. Tickets will be handed out between 5-7am. Results may vary..  

      BGR News
    • Gambia's Jammeh 'allowed to keep' luxury car collection

      Gambian ex-president Yahya Jammeh will be allowed to keep his collection of 13 luxury cars and fly them out to his exiled home in Equatorial Guinea, a spokesman for new president Adama Barrow said Tuesday. Barrow's spokesman confirmed to AFP an agreement had been struck to facilitate Jammeh's exit on Saturday in order to end a weeks-long impasse caused by the ex-leader's refusal to recognise Barrow's election victory. "What is very clear is that arrangements were made and the government was fully prepared and supportive of ex-president Jammeh to leave and as a result they found it is better to leave with all his properties instead of coming down and checking properties," spokesman Halifa Sallah told AFP.

      AFP
    • Samsung: ‘A better, safer, and very innovative’ Galaxy Note 8 is coming

      Samsung completed its Galaxy Note 7 investigation and shared the results with the world on Monday. The company also unveiled a new 8-point quality assurance plan meant to prevent battery accidents from occurring on future Galaxy phones — and one of the phones that will benefit from the new safety policies is going to be the Galaxy Note 8. Yes, Samsung confirmed that it’s making “a better, safer and very innovative Note 8” just a few days ahead of its press conference on Monday. Samsung mobile boss DJ Koh spoke to CNET on Thursday about the Galaxy Note 7 fires. But Koh also let it slip that the Galaxy Note 7 won’t be the last phablet in the Note series. "I will bring back a better, safer and very innovative Note 8," Koh actually said, which a clear confirmation that a Galaxy Note 8 is indeed in the works. Samsung may have elaborated on the “safer” part during its press event on Monday, but it’s unclear at this time what “better” and “very innovative” mean. The Galaxy Note was the first big-screen smartphone that people flocked to, making Samsung the godfather of the phablet. The phone has plenty of fans, and Samsung says that Note fans are very devoted. In fact, 4% of the potentially faulty Galaxy Note 7 units that were sold are still in use out there — though most of them can’t even be used as phones anymore thanks to software limitations that have been put in place. "We found through the investigative process, we knew there are lots and lots of loyal Note customers," Koh said. Note fans are Samsung's most loyal base of clients across all of its products, the company said. According to Samsung’s Tim Baxter, president of the company's US division, more than 10,000 Note customers signed up to stay connected to Samsung for more updates. On top of that, there’s a large base of Galaxy Note 4 and Note 5 users who want an upgrade. "They made it clear, they want a Note," Baxter said. The Galaxy Note 8 likely won't launch until sometime this fall, but in the meantime, at least we all know for certain that the phone is coming.

      BGR News
    • Trump slapped with federal lawsuit in New York

      A group of American lawyers on Monday filed a federal lawsuit in New York against Donald Trump, accusing the US president of violating a constitutional ban on accepting payments from foreign governments. The Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) is pursuing Trump over his vast business holdings, from which the billionaire has refused to divest fully, saying that as president he can have no conflict of interest. CREW says Trump's business properties abroad operate based partly on goodwill from foreign governments and regulators, but that under the US Constitution no federal official can receive a gift or "emolument" from a foreign government.

      AFP
    • Gun rights activists sue Massachusetts over assault weapons ban

      Gun rights advocates have sued Massachusetts over the state's ban on assault weapons, saying that a crackdown begun last year on "copycat" assault rifles is a vague and unconstitutional violation of gun ownership rights. The group of gun owners, dealers and the state's Gun Owners Action League, who have the backing of the National Rifle Association, said the July decision by Attorney General Maura Healey banned guns that had been purchased legally in the state over the past two decades and infringed on the right to bear arms protected by the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. "Massachusetts prohibits firearms it pejoratively defines as 'assault weapons,' which is a non-technical, entirely fabricated, and political term of uncertain definition and scope," the 33-page lawsuit contends.

      Reuters