Here’s how to participate:
1. Check out the resources in the sidebar at right to learn more about the historical context and current events related to this issue.
2. In the comments below, share your thoughts and explore what others are saying. (Please keep your comments respectful and on topic.)
3. Check back each week for the latest discussion topic.
4. In early September, cast your vote in a referendum on potential amendments, gathered from participant comments.
Discussion is moderated by Chris Phillips, research fellow of the Center for Programs in Contemporary Writing at the University of Pennsylvania and executive director of the nonprofit organization Democracy Café.
Now, it’s your turn to weigh in: Do we need to add an amendment requiring a balanced federal budget each year? Why or why not?
(Note to readers on Yahoo! News: If you want to take part in the debate, use this link and comment at the end of the story: http://blog.constitutioncenter.org/?p=25827.)
- Politics & Government
- balanced budget amendment