Nixon orders withdrawal of Guard from Ferguson

Associated Press
Fatal shooting of teenager sparks protests in Ferguson, Missouri
.

View gallery

A protester takes shelter from smoke billowing around him Wednesday, Aug. 13, 2014, in Freguson, Mo. Protests in the St. Louis suburb rocked by racial unrest since a white police officer shot an unarmed black teenager to death turned violent Wednesday night, with some people lobbing Molotov cocktails and other objects at police who responded with smoke bombs and tear gas to disperse the crowd. (AP Photo/St. Louis Post-Dispatch, David Carson)

FERGUSON, Mo. (AP) — Gov. Jay Nixon says his decision to draw down the Missouri National Guard in Ferguson follows progress in stemming upheaval in the St. Louis suburb since a white police officer fatally shot an unarmed black 18-year-old.

Nixon tells KMOX-AM that "the last two nights have been really good" in the suburb that had been the center of nightly racial unrest since Michael Brown was killed Aug. 9.

The white officer who shot Brown, Darren Wilson, is on administrative leave and has not been charged.

Nixon announced what he called a systematic withdrawal of Guard officers on Thursday. He says they've effectively protected the city while other agencies worked to restore trust between law enforcement and residents.

Authorities have arrested at least 163 people in the protest area since Brown's death.

View Comments (423)