Conveniently timed for a late afternoon Friday release, President Obama has granted eight pardons. Scanning down the list of felons, there's two convicted of marijuana related crimes, another who conspired to distribute methamphetamine, and one man who was "aiding and abetting the possession and sale of illegal American alligator hides" in 1986. Many of the crimes committed were over two decades old, and the most recent was from 2001.
Lucky guys and gals, they've now been officially granted clemency. Time's Michael Scherer noted perhaps the most important tidbit from a first reading of the list: there are no violent crimes listed. With that little bit of business out of the way, the White House can officially start the weekend. The full list is here:
- Randy Eugene Dyer – Burien, Wash. Offense: Conspiracy to import marijuana (hashish), 21 U.S.C. § 963; conspiracy to remove baggage from the custody and control of the U.S. Customs Service and convey false information concerning an attempt to damage a civil aircraft, 18 U.S.C. § 371. Sentence: June 19, 1975; Western District of Washington; five years in prison and two years of special parole (special parole term subsequently vacated.)
- Danny Alonzo Levitz - Angola, Ind. Offense: Conspiracy, 18 U.S.C. § 371. Sentence: Aug. 18, 1980; Northern District of Indiana; two years of probation, $400 fine.
- Michael Ray Neal - Palm Coast, Fla. Offense: Manufacture, assembly, modification and distribution of equipment for unauthorized decryption of satellite cable programming, 47U.S.C. § 605(e)(4). Sentence: May 31, 1991, as amended June 2, 1992; Eastern District of Virginia; six months in prison, three years of supervised release conditioned on six months of home confinement, $2,500 fine.
- Edwin Alan North - Wolcottville, Ind. Offense: Transfer of a firearm without payment of transfer tax, 26 U.S.C. § 5861(e). Sentence: Aug. 18, 1980; Northern District of Indiana; six months of unsupervised probation.
- Allen Edward Peratt Sr. - Sioux Falls, S.D. Offense: Conspiracy to distribute methamphetamine, 21 U.S.C. §§ 841(a)(1) and 846. Sentence: July 23, 1990, as amended May 29, 1991; District of South Dakota; 30 months in prison, five years of supervised release.
- Christine Marie Rossiter - Lincoln, Neb. Offense: Conspiracy to distribute less than 50 kilograms of marijuana, 21 U.S.C. §§ 841(a)(1) and 846. Sentence: Oct. 7, 1992; District of Nebraska; three years of probation conditioned on performance of 500 hours of community service.
- Patricia Ann Weinzatl - Prentice, Wis. Offense: Structuring transactions to evade reporting requirements, 31 U.S.C. § 5324(a)(3). Sentence: Aug. 15, 2001; Western District of Wisconsin; three years of probation, $5,000 fine.
- Bobby Gerald Wilson - Summerton, S.C. Offense: Aiding and abetting the possession and sale of illegal American alligator hides (Lacey Act), 16 U.S.C. § 3373(d)(1)(B) and 18U.S.C. § 2. Sentence: Dec. 19, 1985, as amended May 13, 1986; Southern District of Georgia; three and one-half months in prison, five years of probation conditioned on performance of 300 hours of community service.
- Politics & Government
- Crime & Justice