TRIPOLI, Libya (AP) — The trial of ousted dictator Moammar Gadhafi's son, his spy chief and his last prime minister will take place in August, a top Libyan official said Monday.
Al-Seddik al-Sur of the state prosecutor's office told reporters that Seif al-Islam Gadhafi, Abdullah al-Senoussi and ex-premier al-Baghdadi al-Mahmoudi, along with ex-spokesman Milad Daman, will be tried for crimes committed during under Gadhafi's 42-year rule and during the eight-month civil war that deposed him.
Last week Libya appealed the International Criminal Court's order to try Seif al-Islam in The Hague. Libya also asked for suspension of its order to him over to the ICC.
Seif al-Islam is being held by a militia in the Libyan town of Zintan. ICC judges ruled that Libya cannot give Seif al-Islam a fair trial.
With no national army or police in place since the fall of Gadhafi's regime, successive governments have been too weak to either secure Seif al-Islam's imprisonment in the capital, Tripoli, or put pressure on his captors to hand him over to the government. Gadhafi's son is also being tried on separate charges of harming state security.
Also Monday, two senior Gadhafi officials, former Foreign Minister Abdel-Ati al-Obeidi and ex-Parliament Speaker Mohammed al-Zway were acquitted of wasting public funds while paying compensation to victims of a bombing on an airliner over Lockerbie, Scotland. The amount of the compensation was $2.7 billion. Libya's regime was held responsible.
The 1988 bombing was one of the deadliest attacks on an airliner in modern history, killing all 259 people on board and 11 on the ground. Many of the victims were American college students flying home for Christmas.
- Politics & Government
- Society & Culture
- Moammar Gadhafi