Etan Patz case

Associated Press
A newspaper with a photograph of Etan Patz is part of a makeshift memorial in the SoHo neighborhood of New York, Monday, May 28, 2012. For prosecutors, the work is just beginning after the astonishing arrest last week of a man who police say confessed to strangling the 6-year-old New York City boy 33 years ago in one of the nation's most bewildering missing children's cases. Pedro Hernandez, 51, was charged with second-degree murder in the 1979 death of Etan Patz, based largely on a signed confession he gave to detectives. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan)

View gallery

43 photos

The jury deliberating in the murder trial of a man accused of kidnapping and killing 6-year-old Etan Patz (AY'-tahn payts) in 1979 says it is deadlocked.

Jurors have been deliberating since April 15. They said Wednesday that they have been unable to reach a unanimous decision in the trial of Pedro Hernandez.

The judge is telling them to continue deliberating.

Hernandez made a surprise confession in 2012. He told authorities he choked Etan in the basement of a convenience store where he worked and dumped the body a few blocks away.

But prosecutors had no physical evidence linking Hernandez to the crime. Etan's body was never found. Defense attorneys suggested another man had committed the crime and said Hernandez was mentally ill.

The case has baffled authorities for decades. (AP)

Find more news-related pictures in our photo galleries and follow us on Tumblr.

View Comments (12)