According to UN estimates more than 2.5 million Syrians have been affected by their violent conflict, with almost 500,000 refugees having sought shelter outside Syria. Around 89,000 Syrian refugees fleeing from the violence in their country have crossed the Jordanian border since the beginning of 2013.
Photo Galleries By Category
Related Search Results
- Soccer-Ferguson criticises City for Mancini sacking
LONDON, May 18 (Reuters) - Manchester United's outgoing manager Alex Ferguson has criticised neighbours Manchester City for sacking Roberto Mancini. The Italian boss was sacked on Monday having failed to retain the Premier League title he won last season and after losing the FA Cup final to Wigan Athletic. Mancini took out a full-page advertisement in the Manchester Evening News on Saturday, thanking fans for their support during his time in charge. ...
- Boxing-Jones knocks out Lebedev to reclaim crown
* Panamanian stops Lebedev in penultimate round * Povetkin knocks out Pole to set up Klitschko fight (updates with Jones win, adds details) MOSCOW, May 17 (Reuters) - Former champion Guillermo Jones of Panama stopped title holder Denis Lebedev with seconds remaining in the 11th round to reclaim his WBA cruiserweight crown from the Russian on Friday. Earlier, Alexander Povetkin knocked out previously undefeated challenger Andrzej Wawrzyk in the third round to retain his WBA heavyweight crown, setting up a long-awaited clash with super champion Vladimir Klitschko later this year. ...
- After nearly 30 years, Camp Lejeune coming clean
CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (AP) — Purple wildflowers sprout in abundance around the bright-yellow pipe, one of several jutting from the sandy soil in this unassuming patch of grass and mud. A dirty hose runs from the pipe to an idling truck and into a large tank labeled, "NON-POTABLE WATER."
- Accused Kidnapper Ariel Castro Preyed on His Daughters' Friends, Emily Castro Says
Two of the Kidnapped Women Were Friends With Ariel Castro's Daughters
- NYers furious over photos taken through windows
In one photo, a woman is on all fours, presumably picking something up, her posterior pressed against a glass window. Another photo shows a couple in bathrobes, their feet touching beneath a table. And ...
- Soccer-Real and Mourinho contemplate "disastrous" season
By Iain Rogers MADRID, May 18 (Reuters) - Real Madrid and Jose Mourinho were sifting through the debris of what the Portuguese coach termed a "disastrous" 2012-13 campaign after Friday's King's Cup final defeat left the world's richest club without a major trophy for the season. The 2-1 reverse to Atletico Madrid at their own Bernabeu stadium meant Mourinho, widely expected to move on at the end of this term, finished a season without significant silverware for the first time in his otherwise glittering career. ...
- Huge Rock Crashes Into Moon, Sparks Giant Explosion
The moon has a new hole on its surface thanks to a boulder that slammed into it in March, creating the biggest explosion scientists have seen on the moon since they started monitoring it.
- Cycling-Defending champion Hesjedal quits Giro d'Italia
By Alasdair Fotheringham BUSSETO, Italy, May 17 (Reuters) - Defending Giro d'Italia champion Ryder Hesjedal has withdrawn from this year's race, the Canadian's Garmin-Sharp team announced before the start of Friday's stage 13. Hesjedal had slipped to 38th place after 12 stages, 32 minutes and 55 seconds down on overall leader Vincenzo Nibali of Italy after suffering badly in the first mountain stages of the race last weekend. "It's heartbreaking," Hesjedal said in a news release. "I want to be here for my team and for all the people who have supported me to get me here to this point. ...