Libyans denounce acts of terrorism
In a show of solidarity, demonstrators gathered in Libya on Sept. 12 to condemn the killers, and voice support for the U.S. with signs apologizing for the recent atrocities. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three embassy staff were killed in the attack on the Benghazi consulate and a safe house refuge, stormed by Islamist gunmen blaming America for a film they said insulted the Prophet Mohammad.
Photo Galleries By Category
Related Search Results
- Soccer-Ferguson criticises City for Mancini sacking
LONDON, May 18 (Reuters) - Manchester United's outgoing manager Alex Ferguson has criticised neighbours Manchester City for sacking Roberto Mancini. The Italian boss was sacked on Monday having failed to retain the Premier League title he won last season and after losing the FA Cup final to Wigan Athletic. Mancini took out a full-page advertisement in the Manchester Evening News on Saturday, thanking fans for their support during his time in charge. ...
- Nigeria military declares 24-hour curfew in city
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AP) — Nigeria's military declared a 24-hour curfew Saturday on neighborhoods in a northeastern city that's the spiritual home of an Islamic extremist network as soldiers continued the government's emergency campaign in the region, with authorities saying they killed 10 suspected insurgents.
- Soccer-Ramos shines in front of media after Mourinho no-show
MADRID, May 16 (Reuters) - Real Madrid defender Sergio Ramos put in an assured performance in front of the cameras after coach Jose Mourinho failed to appear in Thursday's news conference ahead of the King's Cup final. Better known for his tough tackles, powerful heading ability and nerves of steel when taking penalties, the 27-year-old Spain international appeared in the conference room to represent the club and deftly handled a string of awkward questions. "If I am here it is for a reason. I can also answer questions just like the boss," Ramos said. ...
- Boxing-Jones knocks out Lebedev to reclaim crown
* Panamanian stops Lebedev in penultimate round * Povetkin knocks out Pole to set up Klitschko fight (updates with Jones win, adds details) MOSCOW, May 17 (Reuters) - Former champion Guillermo Jones of Panama stopped title holder Denis Lebedev with seconds remaining in the 11th round to reclaim his WBA cruiserweight crown from the Russian on Friday. Earlier, Alexander Povetkin knocked out previously undefeated challenger Andrzej Wawrzyk in the third round to retain his WBA heavyweight crown, setting up a long-awaited clash with super champion Vladimir Klitschko later this year. ...
- Cycling-Cavendish notches up 100th win, Wiggins loses time
By Alasdair Fotheringham TREVISO, Italy, May 16 (Reuters) - Britain's Mark Cavendish racked up the 100th win of his career on stage 12 of the Giro d'Italia on Thursday but Bradley Wiggins's hopes of overall victory were in tatters when he lost time on the main bunch. Tour de France champion Wiggins, who has been suffering from a chest infection, was dropped in the final hour of the 134-km stage to Treviso after being caught on the wrong side of a split in the bunch. ...
- Cycling-Defending champion Hesjedal quits Giro d'Italia
By Alasdair Fotheringham BUSSETO, Italy, May 17 (Reuters) - Defending Giro d'Italia champion Ryder Hesjedal has withdrawn from this year's race, the Canadian's Garmin-Sharp team announced before the start of Friday's stage 13. Hesjedal had slipped to 38th place after 12 stages, 32 minutes and 55 seconds down on overall leader Vincenzo Nibali of Italy after suffering badly in the first mountain stages of the race last weekend. "It's heartbreaking," Hesjedal said in a news release. "I want to be here for my team and for all the people who have supported me to get me here to this point. ...
- Accused Kidnapper Ariel Castro Preyed on His Daughters' Friends, Emily Castro Says
Two of the Kidnapped Women Were Friends With Ariel Castro's Daughters
- Bea Arthur topless painting fetches $1.9M in NYC
A painting of actress Bea Arthur topless has sold for $1.9 million at a New York City auction. The painting is by artist John Currin and is titled "Bea Arthur Naked." It sold at Christie's auction ...