2012 YEAR IN REVIEW
The standout news & pop obsessions gleaned from your search habits
Year in Review 2012: America's Most Popular Attractions
From Disneyland to Dollywood, Yahoo! searches for travel spots are all over the map. Here, the top 10 travel destinations sought out on the Web. -- By Claudine Zap, Yahoo!
Photo Galleries By Category
Related Search Results
- Meet the Impeachment Crowd: 6 Republicans Who Want Obama Out
- Israel's 'Iron Dome' changes the face of battle
- Pot luck: Berkeley dispensaries now required to give free marijuana to the poor
- 'The Good Wife,' Leno among Emmy snubs
- Islamic militants on offensive against Kurds
- Baby thought cleared of HIV has virus again
A girl who was born HIV-positive but was treated early and showed no signs of the disease for years has seen her infection return, US doctors said Thursday. The girl's story had raised hopes that doctors may have found a way to cure young children who are born HIV-positive, simply by giving them strong anti-retroviral drugs shortly after birth. "Certainly, this is a disappointing turn of events for this young child, the medical staff involved in the child's care and the HIV/AIDS research community," said Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. Known widely as the "Mississippi baby," she was born to an HIV-positive mother in 2010 and was given a potent dose of anti-retroviral medication 30 hours after birth.
- 10 companies that put nearly all the food on supermarket shelves
These conglomerates are responsible for almost all the processed food, candy and beverages stocked on supermarket shelves.
- 'Sonic Boom' Earthquake Shatters Expectations
One of the world's deepest earthquakes was also a rare supersonic quake, upending ideas about where these unusual earthquakes strike. Only six supersonic (or supershear) earthquakes have ever been identified, all in the last 15 years. "This was very surprising," said Zhongwen Zhan, lead author of the study, published today (July 10) in the journal Science. "It's not only deep, it's supershear, and it's also quite small."