Police: Santa Monica gunman acted alone

Associated Press
A firefighter walks past a car with bullet holes across a home that caught fire in Santa Monica, Calif. Friday, June 7, 2013. Two people were found dead Friday in a burned home near the school, where someone sprayed a street corner with gunfire, wounding at least three people, authorities said. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes)
.

View gallery

SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) — Police say a gunman who killed four people in Santa Monica before officers shot him dead acted alone, and investigators have released a man who had been detained as a "person of interest."

Sgt. Richard Lewis, a Santa Monica police spokesman, said at a news conference Friday night that the man was questioned and released, and he is not a suspect.

The violence began when the gunman, dressed in all black and wearing what appeared to be a ballistic jacket, opened fire on a house where two bodies were found.

Two officials briefed on the investigation say those two victims were the gunman's father and brother.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to publicly discuss the case.

Police said earlier that seven people were killed, including the gunman. But they corrected that to a total of five people late Friday.

View Comments