Proposed BAE-EADS merger called off

Associated Press
FILE In this file photo dated Monday July 14, 2008 visitors talk and wander around a Mantis unmanned aircraft  by BAE Systems PLC during a presentation at the opening day of the Farnborough aerospace show, in Farnborough, England.  Defense and aerospace companies BAE Systems PLC and EADS have hours to agree on whether to go ahead with a proposed merger that has faced opposition from Britain, France and Germany. British-based defence contractor BAE Systems and Franco-German EADS, the parent of Airbus, must reach an agreement before 1600 GMT Wednesday Oct. 10, 2012 on whether they would ask regulators for more time to finalize their plans, or abandon the deal. The proposed mega-merger, which would create a global aerospace and defense company, has been fraught with difficulties because of political objections from governments in the U.K., France and Germany. The governments, which have stakes in the companies, have fought over control of the proposed merger. All three countries must approve the deal for it to go ahead. (AP Photo/Lefteris Pitarakis)
.

View gallery

LONDON (AP) — British defense contractor BAE Systems PLC and its European counterpart EADS NV on Wednesday abandoned a proposed merger that would have created a global defense and aerospace giant.

The companies said they "decided to terminate their discussions" over the proposed merger because of conflicting interests between the British, French and German governments.

"It has become clear that the interests of the parties' government stakeholders cannot be adequately reconciled with each other or with the objectives that BAE Systems and EADS established for the merger," the companies said in a statement.

The proposed merger with EADS, the parent of Airbus, would have created a global aerospace and defense company that would leapfrog U.S.-based Boeing Co.

The heads of both companies expressed disappointment at the outcome.

"It is, of course, a pity we didn't succeed but I'm glad we tried," said EADS chief executive Tom Enders.

"We are obviously disappointed that we were unable to reach an acceptable agreement with our various government stakeholders. We believe the merger presented a unique opportunity for BAE Systems and EADS to combine two world class and complementary businesses to create a world leading aerospace, defense and security group," BAE chief Ian King said.

The companies faced a Wednesday deadline on whether to go ahead with the merger, ask for more time or call it off.

From the start, the deal had been fraught with difficulties because of political objections from the governments of the U.K., France and Germany. All three must approve the deal for it to go ahead.

France is the only government that owns a direct stake in either of the two companies, but Germany has long held sway in EADS via shares held by automaker Daimler and private and public banks. Berlin was arguing for a slice of its own in the new company in order to maintain that historic role.

But Britain and the companies' executives were wary about handing out too many shares to governments. If the new entity was perceived as state-owned, it could affect its ability to vie for contracts in the U.S. and Asia, EADS CEO Tom Enders told the German newspaper Bild in an interview that the company posted on its website.

EADS shares jumped on the news that the merger was off, trading 3.7 percent higher in early afternoon in Paris. BAE shares recovered earlier losses to trade flat.

Sorry you didn't like this comment. Please provide a reason below.

Are you sure?
Rating failed. Try again.
Request failed. Try again.
We will promote constructive and witty comments to the top, so everyone sees them!
Sorry, we can’t load comments right now. Try again.

    Recommended for You

    • Trump slapped with federal lawsuit in New York

      A group of American lawyers on Monday filed a federal lawsuit in New York against Donald Trump, accusing the US president of violating a constitutional ban on accepting payments from foreign governments. The Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW) is pursuing Trump over his vast business holdings, from which the billionaire has refused to divest fully, saying that as president he can have no conflict of interest. CREW says Trump's business properties abroad operate based partly on goodwill from foreign governments and regulators, but that under the US Constitution no federal official can receive a gift or "emolument" from a foreign government.

      AFP
    • Wawrinka wins grudge match at Australian Open as Venus shines

      Stan Wawrinka won a bad-tempered clash with Jo-Wilfried Tsonga to reach the Australian Open semi-finals as Venus Williams' late-career surge sent her soaring into the last four on Tuesday. Wawrinka and France's Tsonga, who have been at odds in the past, argued heatedly at the first-set changeover and there was no love lost as the Swiss charged to a 7-6 (7/2), 6-4, 6-3 win. It puts 2014 champion Wawrinka, 31, into his third Melbourne semi-final where he will play the ever-popular Roger Federer, his Swiss compatriot, or Mischa Zverev.

      AFP
    • What's in the Box? Social Media Goes Wild Over Tiffany's Gift Melania Trump Gave Michelle Obama

      It led to an awkward exchange after Michelle Obama was unsure what to do with the gift.

      Inside Edition
    • Gun rights activists sue Massachusetts over assault weapons ban

      Gun rights advocates have sued Massachusetts over the state's ban on assault weapons, saying that a crackdown begun last year on "copycat" assault rifles is a vague and unconstitutional violation of gun ownership rights. The group of gun owners, dealers and the state's Gun Owners Action League, who have the backing of the National Rifle Association, said the July decision by Attorney General Maura Healey banned guns that had been purchased legally in the state over the past two decades and infringed on the right to bear arms protected by the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. "Massachusetts prohibits firearms it pejoratively defines as 'assault weapons,' which is a non-technical, entirely fabricated, and political term of uncertain definition and scope," the 33-page lawsuit contends.

      Reuters
    • In photos: The bestselling cookbooks of 2016 (10 photos)

      Ina Garten's "Cooking for Jeffrey" was the bestselling cookbook of 2016, selling nearly 406,600 copies within two months of its release in late October.Described as her most personal cookery title yet, "Cooking for Jeffrey" is a compilation of recipes that Garten has been cooking or her husband over the last 48 years of their marriage.  Here are the top 10 selling cookbooks of 2016 in the US, according to Nielsen BookScan. 

      AFP Relax News
    • Man convicted of 3 murders as teen kills himself in prison

      CAMP HILL, Pa. (AP) — A man who broke into a classmate's home in 2007 and stabbed the teenager and his parents to death has killed himself in prison, authorities said Monday.

      Associated Press
    • Firebrand Iraq cleric warns US on Israel embassy move

      Moving the US embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem would be a declaration of war on Islam, influential Iraqi cleric Moqtada al-Sadr said Tuesday. "Transferring the US embassy to Jerusalem would be a public and more-explicit-than-ever declaration of war against Islam," he said in a statement. In a break with previous administrations, new US President Donald Trump has pledged to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital and relocate the US embassy there from Tel Aviv.

      AFP
    • Minnesota Gov. Dayton, 69, collapses during speech

      ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) — Gov. Mark Dayton collapsed while delivering his State of the State speech on Monday, striking his head on a lectern. The 69-year-old Democrat appeared to be conscious as he was helped into a back room several minutes later, and a top staffer said he walked out of the Capitol under his own power.

      Associated Press
    • The Sig P320 is the U.S. Army's New Sidearm

      The new pistol replaces the 80s vintage M9 handgun.

      Popular Mechanics
    • Chelsea Clinton shuts down trolls who targeted Barron Trump

      Former First Daughter Chelsea Clinton has spoken out in defence of Barron Trump, the US president's youngest son, after trolls targeted him with cruel memes online during the inauguration.  In a Facebook post Chelsea, who spent much of her teenage years in the spotlight while her dad Bill Clinton was president, said the 10-year-old "deserves the chance every child does-to be a kid".  But she also turned political: "Standing up for every kid also means opposing POTUS policies that hurt kids". Criticism of Barron's facial expressions and posture during the inauguration was widespread on social media, with people mocking him and calling him out for looking bored.  A Saturday Night Live writer even tweeted: "Barron will be this country's first homeschool shooter". The tweet was later deleted.  People on Facebook praised Chelsea for defending Barron while also expressing her political ideas:  BONUS: Donald Trump's inauguration address included a Bane quote ›

      Mashable
    • Royals' Ventura killed in car crash in Dominican Republic

      KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Yordano Ventura quit school as a teenager so he could begin working a construction job to help his family make ends meet, laboring day after day in the hot sun of the Dominican Republic.

      Associated Press
    • Gambia's Jammeh 'allowed to keep' luxury car collection

      Gambian ex-president Yahya Jammeh will be allowed to keep his collection of 13 luxury cars and fly them out to his exiled home in Equatorial Guinea, a spokesman for new president Adama Barrow said Tuesday. Barrow's spokesman confirmed to AFP an agreement had been struck to facilitate Jammeh's exit on Saturday in order to end a weeks-long impasse caused by the ex-leader's refusal to recognise Barrow's election victory. "What is very clear is that arrangements were made and the government was fully prepared and supportive of ex-president Jammeh to leave and as a result they found it is better to leave with all his properties instead of coming down and checking properties," spokesman Halifa Sallah told AFP.

      AFP
    • 12 bodies found in Mexican tourist town: officials

      A dozen bodies -- including seven that were headless and mutilated -- were discovered over the weekend in western Mexico's seaside resort of Manzanillo, apparent victims of the country's epidemic of drug violence, local officials said. It was a shocking turn of events for an area popular with American and other foreign tourists, which until now had largely been spared from the bloody drug wars wracking other parts of Mexico. Seven bodies were found early Saturday in an abandoned taxi on the road from Manzanillo to the town of Cihuatlan.

      AFP
    • Supreme Court sets stage for Trump switch on voter IDs

      The Supreme Court on Monday morning cleared the way for the new Trump Administration to switch the government’s position – if it wishes to do so – to allow states to enforce strict photo ID requirements for America’s voters.

      National Constitution Center
    • 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT

      Still America's beast.

      Car and Driver
    • Samsung: ‘A better, safer, and very innovative’ Galaxy Note 8 is coming

      Samsung completed its Galaxy Note 7 investigation and shared the results with the world on Monday. The company also unveiled a new 8-point quality assurance plan meant to prevent battery accidents from occurring on future Galaxy phones — and one of the phones that will benefit from the new safety policies is going to be the Galaxy Note 8. Yes, Samsung confirmed that it’s making “a better, safer and very innovative Note 8” just a few days ahead of its press conference on Monday. Samsung mobile boss DJ Koh spoke to CNET on Thursday about the Galaxy Note 7 fires. But Koh also let it slip that the Galaxy Note 7 won’t be the last phablet in the Note series. "I will bring back a better, safer and very innovative Note 8," Koh actually said, which a clear confirmation that a Galaxy Note 8 is indeed in the works. Samsung may have elaborated on the “safer” part during its press event on Monday, but it’s unclear at this time what “better” and “very innovative” mean. The Galaxy Note was the first big-screen smartphone that people flocked to, making Samsung the godfather of the phablet. The phone has plenty of fans, and Samsung says that Note fans are very devoted. In fact, 4% of the potentially faulty Galaxy Note 7 units that were sold are still in use out there — though most of them can’t even be used as phones anymore thanks to software limitations that have been put in place. "We found through the investigative process, we knew there are lots and lots of loyal Note customers," Koh said. Note fans are Samsung's most loyal base of clients across all of its products, the company said. According to Samsung’s Tim Baxter, president of the company's US division, more than 10,000 Note customers signed up to stay connected to Samsung for more updates. On top of that, there’s a large base of Galaxy Note 4 and Note 5 users who want an upgrade. "They made it clear, they want a Note," Baxter said. The Galaxy Note 8 likely won't launch until sometime this fall, but in the meantime, at least we all know for certain that the phone is coming.

      BGR News
    • President Donald Trump’s first Monday in office (17 photos)

      If recent promises are any indication, President Trump is poised for a very busy first Monday in the White House. Trump and other top officials have teased a myriad of potential executive actions and announcements that will happen Monday. Trump said in an interview with the Times of London he considered Monday his first “real” work day following his inauguration weekend. The White House released a schedule of his day Sunday evening that included: 9 a.m.: Breakfast and listening session with key business leaders 10:30 a.m.: Signs executive orders 11 a.m.: President’s Daily Briefing 12 p.m.: Lunch with the vice president 3 p.m.: Listening session with union leaders and workers 5 p.m.: Bicameral Leadership Reception 6 p.m.: Meets with House Speaker Paul Ryan In a video message two weeks after his election, Trump pledged that on “day one” he would take the following actions: Withdraw from the Trans Pacific Partnership Cancel “job killing” restrictions on American energy. Institute a new rule that for every one new regulation put in place, two old ones should be eliminated Ask the Department of Defense and chairman of the Joint Chiefs to develop a plan to protect infrastructure from cyberattacks Direct the Department of Labor to investigate all abuses of visa programs Impose a five-year ban on executive officials becoming lobbyists after leaving the administration Other White House officials tell ABC News that other potential executive actions could come related to a declaration of intention to renegotiate NAFTA and other potential orders related to immigration and repealing the Affordable Care Act . White House press secretary Sean Spicer will hold his first official press briefing with members of the press corps, after he blasted the media Saturday in his first press room statement, accusing news organizations of falsely reporting the size of crowds at the Jan. 20 inauguration and intentionally framing photographs to “minimize the enormous support” of those in attendance. (“GMA”) See more news-related photo galleries and follow us on Yahoo News Photo Tumblr .  

      Yahoo News Photo Staff
    • Hugo Barra leaves Xiaomi, says China has ‘taken a huge toll on my life’

      Smartphone startup Xiaomi began life as a peculiar beast. From within the safety of China, the company did all it could to copy every last detail of Apple's devices and marketing strategy, knowing there was precious little Apple could do to stop it. When Apple's portfolio was exhausted, Xiaomi moved on to Samsung, copying a large portion of its device lineup as well. But then, the company realized that it could only go so far selling phones in China and a handful of other markets. As growth was on track to slow substantially, Xiaomi knew that it had to work its way into other top-tier markets around the world. And so Xiaomi Global was born. The Xiaomi subsidiary has hit a few rough patches over the course of the past three-plus years, but today may be its roughest to date. On Monday, Xiaomi Global VP Hugo Barra announced that he is leaving the company. In a post on Facebook, Barra confirmed that he is leaving the company and moving back to Silicon Valley. "When Lei Jun and Bin Lin came to me nearly four years ago with the opportunity to help turn a young rockstar startup into a global player, I embarked on what has been the greatest and most challenging adventure of my life," Barra wrote . "I moved to Beijing, 6,500 miles out of my comfort zone in Silicon Valley, to build from scratch a startup team within a bigger startup. This journey has been nothing short of spectacular in every way, and I can proudly say that Xiaomi Global is the first baby I helped bring into the world." Then, his post took a curious turn. "But what I've realized is that the last few years of living in such a singular environment have taken a huge toll on my life and started affecting my health," Barra said. "My friends, what I consider to be my home, and my life are back in Silicon Valley, which is also much closer to my family. Seeing how much I've left behind these past few years, it is clear to me that the time has come to return." It's unclear exactly what Barra means when he says that working at Xiaomi in Beijing has "taken a huge toll" on his life and affected his health, but he goes on to run down some of the things Xiaomi Global has accomplished since he joined the company. Most notably, the company has expanded sales into Russia, Mexico, Malaysia and more than 20 additional markets. Of note, Barra will still play a role at Xiaomi moving forward. Mi president and cofounder Bin Lin confirmed in a post on Facebook that Barra will be an advisor to the company following his departure. "When Hugo joined us 3.5 years ago, we started an amazing adventure to turn Xiaomi into a global player," Lin wrote . "We have come a long way since, and I couldn’t thank him enough for contributing so much to Xiaomi’s journey. As much as we would love to have Hugo stay with us in Beijing for a much longer time, we understand his personal challenges and wish him all the best in his future endeavors. I’m also looking forward to working closely with him in his new role as advisor to Xiaomi."

      BGR News
    • Philippine leader tames his words for Miss Universe hopefuls

      MANILA, Philippines (AP) — Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte delivered a speech without sex jokes and expletives Monday, telling a gathering of Miss Universe contestants that he was told to be careful with his language.

      Associated Press
    • Protesters take control of Mexican border crossing with US

      TIJUANA, Mexico (AP) — Protesters took control of vehicle lanes at one of the busiest crossings on the U.S. border Sunday to oppose Mexican gasoline price hikes, waving through motorists into Mexico after Mexican authorities abandoned their posts.

      Associated Press