Publisher, photographer probed over Kate photos

Associated Press
FILE - In this Sept. 18, 2012 file photo, a news stand worker checks copies of Closer magazine which published 14 photos of a partially clad Kate Duchess of Cambridge in its pages, in Nice, southern France. A prosecutor's office says Thursday, April 26, 2013 a French judge has placed under investigation the photographer and publishing company behind unauthorized topless photos of Prince William's wife, Kate, that appeared in "Closer" magazine in France last September. (AP Photo/Lionel Cironneau, File)
.

View photo

FILE - In this Sept. 18, 2012 file photo, a news stand worker checks copies of Closer magazine which published 14 photos of a partially clad Kate Duchess of Cambridge in its pages, in Nice, southern France. A prosecutor's office says Thursday, April 26, 2013 a French judge has placed under investigation the photographer and publishing company behind unauthorized topless photos of Prince William's wife, Kate, that appeared in "Closer" magazine in France last September. (AP Photo/Lionel Cironneau, File)

PARIS (AP) — French prosecutors have placed the publisher and photographer of unauthorized topless snaps of Prince William's wife, Kate, under formal criminal investigation, they said Thursday.

Caroline Chassain, spokeswoman for the Nanterre prosecutor, said that Mondadori Magazines France and local photographer Valerie Suau were placed under investigation earlier this month over possible criminal exploitation of the images, which appeared in the French "Closer" magazine last September.

The photos showed the Duchess of Cambridge relaxing at a private villa in Provence, in southern France, sometimes without her bikini top and, in one case, her suit bottom partially pulled down to apply sunscreen.

Chassain added that Suau's employer, local newspaper "La Provence," was also placed under formal criminal investigation on Monday, but she did not elaborate.

The investigation will likely take months to complete.

The blurry photos have been called a "grotesque and totally unjustifiable" abuse of privacy by British royal officials. Despite efforts by Prince William and Kate to halt their use last September they went on to be published in Italy, Ireland, Sweden and on the Internet. However, no major British publication carried the photos, including Rupert Murdoch's top-selling U.K. tabloid The Sun, which last year ran photos of a naked Prince Harry cavorting in a Las Vegas hotel room.

The first major press incident involving William and Kate brought back memories of William's mother Diana being hounded by paparazzi in France in the hours and days before her fatal car crash there in 1997.

View Comments (74)