Saatchi cautioned over assault on wife

Associated Press
FILE - In this Tuesday, Oct. 9, 2012 file photo, English food writer, journalist and broadcaster, Nigella Lawson poses during the 28th MIPCOM (International Film and Programme Market for Tv, Video,Cable and Satellite) in Cannes, southeastern France. British police say they are investigating after a newspaper published photos of Nigella Lawson's husband Charles Saatchi with his hands around the celebrity chef's throat. The Sunday People newspaper ran pictures of what it said was the couple's violent argument at a London restaurant on June 9, 2013. (AP Photo/Lionel Cironneau, File)
.

View gallery

LONDON (AP) — Prominent art collector Charles Saatchi has accepted a police caution for assault after grasping the throat of his wife, celebrity chef Nigella Lawson.

Tabloid newspapers this week published photos of the incident, which happened more than a week ago in a posh London restaurant.

In British law, police can issue a caution in some cases where a suspect admits an offense.

Police said Tuesday no further action is expected once a caution has been accepted.

The 70-year-old Saatchi had earlier characterized the incident as a "playful tiff" during an intense debate about their children.

Lawson's spokesman has confirmed that she left the family home with her children after the photos were published. She is a well-known TV presenter and chef whose cookbooks are extremely popular.

View Comments (1)