Yes, Samsung is launching even more tablets with different screen sizes, but this time they aren’t Galaxy-branded devices. The new ATIV Q and ATIV Tab 3 are Windows 8 tablets that deliver very different capabilities and add some real diversity to Samsung’s tablet lineup. The ATIV Q is the most intriguing of the pair because it actually comes preloaded with Android 4.2 Jelly Bean that gives users the option to use popular Android apps that aren’t yet available on Windows 8. Samsung also says that ATIV Q users will “also be able to transfer files to share folders and files from Windows 8 to Android, truly marrying the mobile and PC experiences.” The device features a 13.3-inch display with a resolution of 3200 x 1800 pixels, an Intel Core i5 processor, 4GB of RAM, 128GB of storage and up to 9 hours of battery life.
The ATIV Tab 3, meanwhile is being billed as “the world’s thinnest Windows 8 tablet” and measures in at 8.2 millimeters thick. The tablet is also influenced by the design of Samsung’s popular Galaxy series, which means it will look more like a Galaxy Note 8 than previous Windows-based Samsung tablets. The device features a 10.1-inch display with a resolution of 1366 x 768 pixels, an Intel ATOM Z2760 processor, 2GB of RAM, 64GB of storage and up to 10 hours of battery life. The device also comes preloaded with Office 2013.
Samsung did not disclose a release date or pricing for the new tablets. Samsung’s full press release is posted below.
Samsung Strengthens Tablet Business and Demonstrates Commitment to Customer Choice with Innovative New ATIV Tablets
New Convertible ATIV Q and ATIV Tab 3, the World’s Thinnest Windows Tablet, Offer Ultimate Versatility and Productivity on the Go
LONDON, U.K. – June 20, 2013 – Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a global leader in digital media and convergence technologies, unveiled two new tablets today, giving consumers more ways than ever to create, consume and share content, and blurring the industry boundaries. The two new Windows 8 tablets, the ATIV Q and ATIV Tab 3, include several innovative new features that set them apart from other mobile tablets, including incredibly versatile form factors and extremely thin and light bodies. Both are powered by Windows 8 and bring several unique features to market – including the world’s thinnest tablet and a convertible tablet with the ability to run Android apps.
“Busy lives demand convenience, and the convertible nature of these tablets delivers the versatility, mobility and adaptability consumers should expect from personal computing today,” said DJ Lee, President and Head of Sales and Marketing Office, IT & Mobile Communications Division, Samsung Electronics. “These tablets are the result of people-centric innovation, and they were designed to provide consumers the flexibility to manage their digital lives on their terms whether they are in the office, at home or on the go.”
Samsung launches the ATIV Q – a truly convertible device with the ability to change modes and the power to enjoy both Windows and Android. Born of the tablet family, the ATIV Q allows users more flexibility than ever to adapt the device to fit any situation, posture or environment. Built with today’s evolving consumer lifestyles in mind and usable as a notebook or tablet, it delivers on the ATIV promise to make work more seamless and life more convenient.
- Enjoy Android Apps on Windows: Addressing consumers’ desire to access Android apps on a Windows-based PC, the ATIV Q allows users to experience both Windows 8 and Android (Jellybean 4.2.2) on the same device. Users will not only get access to Android apps via Google Play but will also be able to transfer files to share folders and files from Windows 8 to Android, truly marrying the mobile and PC experiences.
- Versatility to Suit Any Environment or Needs: The ATIV Q sports an innovative hinge design that allows the user to transform the tablet into four functional modes. Lay the display flat over the keyboard for tablet mode. Raise the display upright to type just like a laptop. Float and adjust the display to a comfortable viewing angle. Or flip the display to place in the stand mode to watch movies with ease. The four-in-one design of the ATIV Q easily adjusts to give users all the options they need in one device. ATIV Q is also extremely thin and lightweight for optimum portability. At 1.29kg and only 13.9mm, it’s easy to take everywhere you go.
- The Ultimate Viewing Experience: The ATIV Q introduces the world’s highest resolution, QHD+ (3200×1800) display. The tablet’s 13.3-inch touch screen offers 2.8 times higher pixel density (275ppi) than full HD displays for viewing the finest of details. ATIV Q is also designed to provide an optimized viewing experience regardless of location and high brightness in outdoor environments.
ATIV Tab 3
A tablet with the power of a PC, the ATIV Tab 3 makes personal computing more mobile than ever. The tablet is the world’s thinnest Windows 8 tablet – as thin as popular smartphones – and shares the premium design of the GALAXY series. It is also ideal for both creativity and productivity with improved S Pen functionality, including high level pen display and S Pen compatibility with MS Office.
- Ultimate Mobility: The ATIV Tab 3 is the perfect device for on-the-go users. The frame is incredibly thin and light at only 8.2 millimeters thick and 550g in weight, making it a perfect companion device for travel as well as transporting between work and home. The ATIV Tab 3 also features up to 10 hours of battery life, eliminating the need to carry a charger for most long-distance flights.
Full Windows Experience for Work and Play: The ATIV Tab 3 runs Windows 8 with the ability to run Windows apps and programs, as well as coming preloaded with Office™ Home & Student for the best experience whether at home, at work or on go.
Both the ATIV Q and ATIV Tab 3 also enable superior productivity with S Pen functionality, enabling users to easily make written updates to creative and work.
SideSync is available on the ATIV Q and ATIV Tab 3, enabling users to switch from working on their PC to an Android-based Samsung smartphone with simplicity and ease. With SideSync, the user’s PC and mobile device become one. Simply use the PC keyboard to respond to a text on a mobile phone; view maps on a larger screen, display photos and videos on both devices to make editing files even easier; or use an ATIV PC to back up and charge mobile devices. With SideSync, users enjoy more productivity with fewer interruptions to work and everyday life.
Convenience is all about saving time and finding easier ways to get things accomplished, and Samsung ATIV tablets enable users to do just that. By making the personal computing experience more versatile, Samsung continues to make work more seamless and life more convenient.
This article was originally published on BGR.com
- Technology & Electronics
- Handheld & Connected Devices