SIOUX FALLS, S.D. (AP) -- Some South Dakota farmers are concerned about the lack of snow cover protection for winter wheat.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture says in its weekly crop weather report that snow cover for winter wheat is rated at 61 percent poor with the remaining 39 percent adequate.
Winter wheat condition is rated at 21 percent very poor, 49 percent poor, 27 percent fair and 3 percent good.
Alfalfa snow cover is rated at 37 percent poor, 61 percent adequate and 2 percent excellent.
The USDA says the average snow depth at year's end across South Dakota is 4 inches.
Farmers and ranchers continue to cope with drought reduced feed supplies and stock water supplies as the winter progresses, though livestock is doing well in most areas of the state.
- Natural Phenomena
- winter wheat