State Dept: Security at Libya consulate adequate

Associated Press
Lt. Col. Andrew Wood, a Utah National Guard Army Green Beret who was the top security official at the consulate in Libya, testifies on Capitol Hill in Washington, Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2012, before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee hearing investigating the Sept. 11, 2012 attack on the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya, that resulted in the death of U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and other Americans.  (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)
.

View gallery

WASHINGTON (AP) — State Department officials are telling Congress that security levels at the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya were adequate for the threat level on the anniversary of 9/11. But they also said the compound was overrun by an "unprecedented attack" by dozens of heavily armed extremists.

Testifying before an election-season congressional hearing on alleged security failures at the consulate that led or contributed to the deaths of the U.S. ambassador to Libya and three other Americans, senior officials said the number of U.S. and local security guards at the compound was consistent with what had been requested by the post.

Deputy Secretary of State Charlene Lamb told the panel, quote, "We had the correct number of assets in Benghazi at the time of 9/11."

She's the State Department official in charge of protecting American embassies and consulates around the world.

View Comments (139)