KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — A suicide bombing struck a NATO patrol in eastern Afghanistan on Wednesday, killing three coalition troops, the international military force said.
The Taliban quickly claimed responsibility for the assault in Kunar province. The attack emphasized the insurgency's continued ability to wreak violence despite fierce efforts by the Afghan government and international forces to wipe out the militants' leadership.
Initial reports indicated the attack targeted a NATO foot patrol near the headquarters of the provincial government in Kunar, according to the coalition. NATO did not give the nationalities of the troops who were killed.
Details of the attack were still unclear by mid-afternoon. A spokesman for Kunar's provincial government said there were two suicide bombers on foot, and they detonated their explosives outside the council building in the provincial capital of Asadabad. The spokesman, Wasifullah Wasify, said at least one Afghan civilian was killed and three were wounded in the blast.
Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said in a statement that two insurgents drove explosives-laden vehicles into the NATO patrol from opposite directions. He claimed they killed 17 international troops. The insurgents typically claim far higher death tolls in their attacks.
NATO said so far only one suicide bomber was confirmed to have taken part in the attack and he was on foot.
- Unrest, Conflicts & War
- Politics & Government