The Internet is buzzing with speculation about and interpretation of the scenes in this first teaser. So let's look at some key important details, shall we?
Here are the top-five things to think about in the trailer for The Dark Knight Rises...
1. Gordon is talking to Bruce Wayne in the hospital -- If you look closely, you'll see the hand and part of the dress shirt and suit jacket resting on Gordon's bed. You can only see a dark shadow of the head, but it's Bruce. First of all, Gordon is talking about Batman being his ally in Gotham, and then vanishing but needing to return. And he says, "you," which means he knows he's talking to Batman. But the voice is clearly the "Bruce Wayne" voice, albeit whispered, upset, uncertain... and probably disguised. Some of you might remember a certain stunt image that spread around the Internet recently, and it provides a pretty big hint about why Gordon might be able to talk to Batman sans bat-mask but still "disguised." Bottom line: It's Bruce, and he's disguised, but not as Batman.
2. Batman is missing-in-action -- Gordon says "THEN you were gone... and NOW this evil rises." That suggests Batman disappeared prior to whatever chaos has erupted across the city. When Bruce says, "What if he doesn't exist anymore?" he might be talking about having retired voluntarily from his role as Batman, because previous casting announcements indicated that Marion Cotillard is portraying Miranda Tate, a Wayne Enterprises board member who convinces Bruce to invest in philanthropy to pursue his father's legacy. Bruce might have left the cowl behind in favor of trying to fulfill the "white knight" role Harvey Dent tried to take on (but failed at) in The Dark Knight. Gotham needs a hero without a mask, Bruce said, and I think Tate is trying to push him toward that role as Bruce Wayne, and he might be trying to leave Batman in his past. But he of course will come out of retirement to confront Bane. Bottom line: Batman went MIA before Bane showed up.
3. Someone is doing pushups in a prison cell -- During Gordon's speech, there's a brief shot of a man doing pushups in shadows. Watch carefully, and you'll notice he's in a prison cell of some sort. He has short hair and a slight beard. He's naked. And he might Bane, but he might also be Bruce Wayne, either in a flashback to his pre-Batman days in China abroad or perhaps arrested if his identity as Batman is revealed. Or he might be Josh Pence in his "special role" in a flashback. I suspect the latter is the case, that we'll see Pence's character in the past when he first encounters Bane as a young kid. Or it's Bane training in prison before he escapes. Those are my top guesses. Bottom line: whoever it is, they're in prison, and it might not be who you expect.
4. That's Bane climbing up a well, but where? -- The pants, bulky muscles on the arms and back, and the smooth head make me think it must be Bane scaling that brick circular enclosure toward the light above. Some fans think he's climbing out of the well at Wayne Manor (the one down which a young Bruce fell as a child), but I think it's more likely a different place altogether, either his prison escape or something related to The League of Shadows perhaps. Early leaked images appeared to show some sets similar to the above-ground portions of large well entrances, so that's definitely possibly related, too. Bottom line: Bane's the one scaling that wall, and it looks like it's somewhere unexpected.
5. The final shot is Batman being beaten by Bane, and they might be in the batcave -- At the end of Batman Begins, Bruce talked with Alfred about making some modifications to the batcave and parts of Wayne Manor. So it's possible we'll see a batcave that's been expanded with catwalks and supports and other newly installed equipment. Looking at the final shot of this trailer, we see Batman backing away down a catwalk (notice the railings to the side) while Bane comes walking up stairs (notice the railing to the right side of the screen). In the background, we see what looks like an expansive dark dwelling with scaffolds and ledges and some kind of stone. It could be the batcave, which would be circumstantial evidence supporting the theory that in #4 above, Bane is climbing out of the Wayne Manor well (since that well leads down into the batcave). Look in the background, and you'll also spot a person standing on a ledge to the right, either aiming a gun or camera, or possibly holding their hands in a praying position. Who it is, and why they are there, remains a mystery for now. But one thing is certain: Batman is backing away, gasping for breath and staggering, injured and on the ropes in this fight against the menacing villain Bane who keeps coming, unstoppable. This scene is probably early in the film, when Batman first tries to confront Bane or when Bane tracks Batman back to the batcave (or, as I personally suspect, Bane comes to the batcave to surprise Batman, because he has "inside information" about Batman's true identity... but for now, I won't say WHO I think has given Bane this information). Bottom line: Batman will probably LOSE this battle!
That's it for now. I'll have more to say soon, but these are the first five things to pay attention to in the trailer. Fans will no doubt be discussing and debating this teaser trailer as the months pass, and as more official photos and information are released.
We've got another year before The Dark Knight Rises finally hits theaters, so let's make the most of it and enjoy the ride, folks!
- Bruce Wayne
- Wayne Manor
- Harvey Dent
- League of Shadows
- Wayne Enterprises board member
- teaser trailer