ANKARA, Turkey (AP) — Turkish police have detained five people suspected of involvement in a deadly car bombing last month on a border crossing between Syria and Turkey, the interior minister said Monday. One other suspect is still at large.
The suspects, four Syrians and one Turk, are believed to be linked to Syria's intelligence agencies and its army, Muammer Guler told reporters.
Two of them are suspected of having carried out the attack, while a third is believed to have "organized" the bombing, Guler said. The other suspects are thought to have "aided and abetted" the bombers.
The detained were to be questioned by a court to face formal arrest and charges.
The Feb. 11 car bomb attack at the Bab al-Hawa border crossing killed 14 people. No one claimed responsibility for the attack, but a Syrian opposition faction accused the Syrian government of the bombing, saying it narrowly missed 13 leaders of the group.
"We have determined that they were in contact with the Syrian intelligence and army," Guler said. "But of course, this will come to light during the trial."
Guler said two of the suspects had escaped to Syria and were "brought" to Turkey. He did not say if Syrian rebels, backed by Turkey, were involved in their return.
The frontier area has seen heavy fighting between Syrian rebels and government forces during the nearly two-year-old civil war.
- Politics & Government
- Unrest, Conflicts & War
- Muammer Guler