Clashes in Italian town during funeral for former Nazi
SHOTLIST: ALBANO, Italy, October 15, 2013 SOURCE: TM News. NO RESALE editorial use only SOUNDBITE 1 - Nicola Marini, mayor of Albano Laziale (italian, 16 secs) "This city deserves respect for what it has done to help liberate the country and for the sacrifices of those who died here in order to counter the Nazi occupation. We should always have respect." - VAR of the coffin - VAR of the clashes /// -------------------------------------------------------- AFP text story: Italy-Jews-history-Nazi-Germany Italy looks set to send Nazi war criminal's body to Germany by Dario THUBURN ROME, Oct 16, 2013 (AFP) - Italy appeared set to send the body of Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke to Germany on Wednesday as it commemorated the 70th anniversary of a round-up of Jews from the historic Jewish quarter of Rome. Clashes erupted in a town near Rome on Tuesday as a Catholic ultra-conservative sect tried to stage a funeral for the unrepentant former SS officer who was convicted for a massacre of 335 civilians. The funeral was cancelled by a police order after some neo-Nazi sympathisers broke into the seminary in Albano Laziale and tried to stage a rally as hundreds of protesters outside shouted "Assassin!" The coffin was then driven to a military airport outside Rome during the night after Priebke's lawyer and friend, Paolo Giachini, gave up his power of attorney for the funeral arrangements. "We are planning to resolve the situation today. We are in contact with Germany," Rome prefect Giuseppe Pecoraro told reporters on Wednesday. "We had to cancel the funeral yesterday because there was a risk that it could have become a neo-Nazi demonstration," he said. At least two people were detained by police at the scene of the clashes, where some of the protesters were seen fighting with bottles and chains. A rock was later thrown at the windscreen of the van driving Priebke's coffin to the airport. Protesters had earlier kicked and spat on the hearse as it arrived for the start of the funeral. The Holocaust denier died on Friday at the age of 100 and has provoked outrage even in death with the Vatican issuing an unprecedented order forbidding any Catholic church in Rome from holding his funeral. He had been living under house arrest in the Italian capital after being extradited in 1998 from Argentina, where he had fled with a Vatican travel document soon after World War II. Priebke had wanted to be buried in Argentina next to his wife but the government there earlier said it would not accept the body. Jewish groups and relatives of the people he executed said he should be cremated and his ashes scattered to erase every trace. There is concern that a burial could create a pilgrimage point for neo-Nazi sympathisers. The furore comes at a particularly sensitive time in Italy on the anniversary of the round-up of the Jews from the Rome Ghetto on October 16, 1943. More than 1,000 Jews were taken away to concentration camps and only 16 returned. Speaking ahead of a ceremony in the Ghetto synagogue, Rome mayor Ignazio Marino said the city could not tolerate holding Priebke's funeral. "Rome could not accept the funeral of a man who actively took part in the massacre of 335 people, shooting them in the back of the neck," he said. The Gestapo ordered the mass killing in the Ardeatine caves near Rome as retaliation for a partisan attack which killed 33 German soldiers. They shot 10 Italians for every dead German, and five more who had been brought to the caves by mistake. Italian President Giorgio Napolitano and other top officials were expected at the synagogue ceremony with Holocaust survivors later on Wednesday. "Today is the day to remember what happened 70 years ago, to remember the wound, the tragic moment in the history of our city," he said. "The seed of pain and violence still exists and we have to root it out through memory," said the mayor, who will travel to Auschwitz this weekend with a group of Rome high-schoolers. dt/ide/lc
Arizona governor hopefuls debate hot-button issues
PHOENIX (AP) -- Illegal immigration took center stage Monday during a televised debate between six Republican candidates for Arizona governor. Although the candidates discussed other topics that included education and the economy, illegal immigration drew the most pointed comments from them during the hour-long debate. The candidates at the debate were Ken Bennett, Doug Ducey, Christine Jones, Frank Riggs, Scott Smith and Andrew Thomas. For example, Arizona Horizon host Ted Simons asked candidates why the Arizona economy has struggled to recover since the collapse of 2008. Thomas, the former Maricopa County attorney, said the answer is obvious: "These jobs are being taken by people who are coming into the country both legally and illegally." Riggs, a supporter of strict illegal immigration measures such as SB1070, disagreed. A tense exchange between Riggs, a former U.S. congressman, and Thomas ensued. "To constantly blame illegal immigrants for every challenge that we have as a state is absolutely irresponsible," Riggs said. The statewide and national debate over illegal immigration came to a head last month when the federal government began housing in a Nogales, Arizona, facility young immigrant children who had crossed the border alone and illegally into Texas. State officials who say Arizona has its own illegal immigration problems criticized the move and demanded the federal government stop transferring the children from Texas to Nogales. The U.S. Border Patrol has since stopped sending children to Nogales because of a steep fall in the number of children border crossers and the opening of a new holding facility in McAllen, Texas. Asked at the debate, which was broadcast on KAET Channel 8, what they would do to combat illegal immigration, the candidates had varying plans. Ducey, the state treasurer, said he would reprioritize public safety resources and allocate them to the border, readjusting the state Department of Public Safety budget while also considering privatizing the state lottery to pay for more enforcement. "I'm for all of the above and whatever it takes as a governor," Ducey said. Jones, a former Internet company executive, said she would deploy National Guard troops to the border and finish building fences in "strategic" areas of the border. "We're not talking about shutting the border. We're talking about understanding who's coming and going. Mexico is our single largest trading partner," she said. Riggs and Bennett, the secretary of state, said they would assign local police to help stop illegal immigration. Bennett said he would also invest in detection devices and push for more employer sanctions. But Smith cautioned his colleagues of the costs and logistics of such plans. Gov. Jan Brewer, also a Republican, has taken every step she could to stop illegal immigration, but that it is the federal government's duty to secure the border, he said. "Nobody here is talking reality," Smith said. One thing the candidates shared in common: a desire to attract more companies and jobs to Arizona. The candidates said the state needs to simplify its tax code and make it easier to conduct business. They sparred on education matters, however. Riggs said he would use executive powers to repeal Common Core standards on his first day in office. Common Core standards aim to focus learning on comprehension and real-life examples and were designed by a national, bipartisan group of governors and education leaders to better prepare students for college and the job market. Jones said she opposes the standards. "I'm opposed for a number of reasons. Especially when you're a teacher and you're in the classroom and a disproportionately large portion of your classroom is dedicated to following those standards," Jones said. But Smith said the Common Core debate had become political and not about education, although he did express concern over implementation of the standards. "We don't talk about children," he said. The debate was sponsored by the Arizona Citizens Clean Elections Commission. The primary election will be held Aug. 26. The winner will go up against Democrat Fred DuVal in the November general election. Brewer, who cannot seek a third term, has not endorsed a candidate yet. © 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Tune in on Tuesday, July 22nd to watch Everclear perform LIVE from the McMenamin's Crystal Ballroom, in Portland, OR. Catch a new LIVE concert from Live Nation, on Yahoo Live daily, 365 days a year.
'Guardians of the Galaxy' Clip: Ever Seen An Aaskvarian?
Guardians of the Galaxy
Bea Miller - Young Blood (Official Video)
Music video by Bea Miller performing Young Blood (Official Video). (C) 2014 Simco Limited under license to Hollywood Records, Inc.
Role Recall: Ethan Hawke, Part 1
Ethan Hawke takes a look back at some of his most iconic roles and film shoots. Among his memories: Hanging out with River Phoenix during the making of “Explorers”; leaving college to shoot "Dead Poets Society”; starving on the set of “Alive”; and working with Winona Ryder in "Reality Bites."
Everclear - I Will Buy You A New Life
Music video by Everclear performing I Will Buy You A New Life. (P) 2007 Capitol Records, Inc.. All rights reserved. Unauthorized reproduction is a violation of applicable laws. Manufactured by Capitol Catalog,
'Behaving Badly' Clip: A Holy Vision
Breakfast with Bevan - Taylor Swift Answers a Lightning Round of Fan Questions
Ever wondered how Taylor Swift plans her outfits? Or what she does in her spare time? Teen Vogue’s Andrew Bevan gets the inside scoop.
Giant 59-Foot Tall Rubber Duck Has Gone Missing
Have you seen this duck? The 59-foot tall duck is one of several, designed by Dutch artist Florentijn Hofman The art installation had been on display for just 11 days on the Nanming river, in Guiyang City, China before torrential rains caused the river to swell and displace the one-ton sculpture from its moorings and wash down the river. And no one has seen the duck since. Now the search is on for the giant bath toy. While this particular duck has been on a world tour since 2007, this isn’t the first time or even the third time this duck has run into trouble in Asia. This truly is one UnluckyDucky.