- Ice bucket challenge goes awry, firefighters hurt Associated Press - 2 hrs 37 mins ago
Four firefighters were injured — two seriously — when a fire truck's ladder got too close to a power line after they helped college students … More »Ice bucket challenge goes awry, firefighters hurt
- British Muslims blame jihadi subculture after beheading video Reuters - 3 hrs ago
By Kate Holton and Raheem Salman LONDON/BAGHDAD (Reuters) - A British Muslim leader called for action on Thursday to tackle a jihadi sub-culture after an Islamic State video showed a suspected Briton beheading U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said the threat from Islamic State was "beyond anything we've seen" and the …
- Ukraine's Poroshenko talks tough ahead of meetings with Merkel, Putin Reuters - 7 hrs ago
By Richard Balmforth KIEV (Reuters) - Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said on Thursday he would call on Russian President Vladimir Putin to rein in pro-Russian separatists when the two men meet next week and told the Kremlin chief he had "a strong country, a strong army" behind him. Poroshenko spoke as government …
- Islamic State threat 'beyond anything we've seen': Pentagon Reuters - 4 hrs ago
By Missy Ryan WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The sophistication, wealth and military might of Islamic State militants represent a major threat to the United States that may surpass that once posed by al Qaeda, U.S. "They are an imminent threat to every interest we have, whether it's in Iraq or anywhere else," Defense Secretary …
- Greek archaeology site sparks intense interest Associated Press - 8 hrs ago
- The ice bucket stops with Obama Associated Press - 2 hrs 41 mins ago
EDGARTOWN, Mass. (AP) — The ice bucket stops with Obama.
- Virginia's ex-governor testifies he has moved out of family home Reuters - 6 hrs ago
By Gary Robertson RICHMOND Va. (Reuters) - Former Virginia Governor Robert McDonnell testified on Thursday he was no longer living with his wife, having moved out of his home and into a church about a week before the start of their trial on bribery and corruption charges. McDonnell and his wife, Maureen, are charged with …
- As Ukraine forces gain in east, focus of German diplomacy shifts Reuters - 10 hrs ago
By Noah Barkin and Richard Balmforth BERLIN/KIEV (Reuters) - After months of ratcheting up pressure on Vladimir Putin, concern is mounting in Berlin and other European capitals that an emboldened Ukraine's military successes in the east are reducing the chances of a face-saving way out of the crisis for the Russian leader. …
- Prisoner freed 90 years early appeals sentence Associated Press - 3 hrs ago
RECAPS AND CLIPS
News & Blogs
'DAYTIME IN NO TIME' ON FACEBOOK
News for You
- Sri Lankan activist: Gov't trying to hurt UN probe
COLOMBO, Sri Lanka (AP) — Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa's decision to deny entry to U.N. investigators is intended to undermine the credibility of an ongoing war crimes inquiry, an activist said Thursday.
- Melting Antarctic Ice Threatens the World's Megacities
A first-of-its-kind study finds that global sea levels could rise 20 percent higher by 2100 than previously estimated because of melting ice in Antarctica. “A 20 percent higher sea level makes a bad situation worse,” said Robert Bindschadler, a glaciologist and coauthor of the study, which was published in the journal Earth Systems Dynamics. “Right now nine of the 10 largest cities—Mexico City being the only exception—are coastal cities,” said Bindschadler, an emeritus researcher at NASA Goddard Space Center who collaborated with Anders Levermann at the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research. Bindschadler’s estimates are higher than those released by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change in an April report.
- Police: Couple used dog to lure 2 Amish girls
- Prisoner freed 90 years early appeals sentence
- High school senior says she was suspended for saying 'bless you'
- India's Gandhi family is a dynasty on the rocks
India’s most powerful political dynasty, the Nehru-Gandhi family, is at its nadir after a historic trouncing in this spring’s national election. On Tuesday, the Gandhi-family led Congress Party was denied its request to lead the opposition in parliament, since the party couldn’t muster the minimum 10 percent of seats necessary for a formal opposition role. It won only 44 seats out of 543 parliament seats in May while the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), led by Narendra Modi, swept to victory, winning the first outright majority in India’s parliament since 1984.