Asians are the most active social media users in the world: Agree or disagree?
A study by Burson-Marsteller showed that social media usage in the Asia-Pacific region went through the roof in the past years, showing growth rates ranging from 107% (South Korea) to 12,305% (Vietnam). More than half of the region's population is active online, with Facebook the most popular social network. Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Japan and South Korea all have larger online populations than Australia. In China, more than half a billion people surf the web.
[More from Mashable: Fort Collins and Ottawa Proclaim June 30 Social Media Day]
But going beyond statistics, what do those numbers mean? Are Asians really as attuned to social media as the surveys say? How differently do people in Asia use social media as compared to the U.S.? Join us today for a Google+ hangout at 10:00 a.m. ET with Timothy Tiah of Malaysia, Carlo Ople and Rosario Juan of the Philippines, and Aakar Anil of Nepal as we chat about social media trends in Asia in celebration of the upcoming Social Media Day on June 30.
- Timothy Tiah is the co-founder of Nuffnang, an Asia-based blog advertising community that first started in Kuala Lumpur. You might also remember him as the guy who proposed to his girlfriend with a series of memes in a video that went viral last year.
- Carlo Ople is the senior manager of the online publishing unit of TV5, a television and online news network. He is also the editor-in-chief of The New Media, a Philippine-based digital marketing resource site. His expertise in social media extends to the long-ago days of Friendster, where he used to be a digital marketing manager.
- Aakar Anil is a blogger, computer engineer and Internet marketing consultant from Kathmandu, Nepal. He specializes in social media and tech issues.
- Rosario Juan is a social media and online marketing specialist from NetBooster Asia. She is the organizer of Manila Social Media Day event.
Read on to learn more about Social Media Day and find a Meetup near you, and let us know in the comments what social media looks like where you live.
[More from Mashable: Celebrate Social Media Day With Mashable in the Bay Area]
Ways You Can Participate
- Sign up to attend or organize your own event on the Mashable Meetup Everywhere page.
- Use the #smday hashtag on Twitter, Instagram, Google+ and any other social network of your choice.
- Find your Mashable Meetup community:
How Are You Celebrating?
Whether you've had your event planned for months or are now inspired to get one started, we want to know: What are your plans for Social Media Day 2012? Share with us in the comments how you'll be recognizing the connected generation come June 30th.
We look forward to celebrating with you!
Social Media Day 2012 Is Presented By Motorola Mobility
This story originally published on Mashable here.
- Arts & Entertainment
- social media