SANAA, Yemen (AP) — Yemen says two al-Qaida militants who tunneled out of a prison last month have been re-arrested in a southern province.
An Interior Ministry statement issued Wednesday said the two were captured in al-Dhali province and were among five militants who escaped from the prison in the western province of Hodeida on June 26.
It said one of the two, Nasser Ismail Ahmed Muttahar, was detained for taking part in an attack on the U.S. Embassy in Sanaa in 2008.
The attack on the embassy's gate, carried out by gunmen and vehicles packed with explosives, killed 19 people including an 18-year-old American woman and six militants. None of those killed or wounded were U.S. diplomats or embassy employees.
It was the deadliest assault on a U.S. embassy in a decade.