SANAA, Yemen (AP) — A Yemeni security official says a U.S. drone strike in southern Yemen has killed three al-Qaida suspects.
The official says Monday's strike hit the suspects' moving vehicle in Hadramawt province and set it on fire.
The official says the bodies were found charred inside the vehicle and the suspects' identification wasn't possible. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak to media.
It was the first drone strike since the brazen al-Qaida attack on Thursday on the Defense Ministry compound in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa, which killed 56 people.
Yemen's al-Qaida branch had claimed responsibility for last week's attack, saying the ministry complex housed "drone control rooms and American experts."
The U.S. considers Yemen's al-Qaida branch to be among the most active in the world.
- Unrest, Conflicts & War