Firefighters helped free about 1,000 birds that were found trapped in the chimney of a home in Montecito, California, on Sunday, April 25, according to the Montecito Fire Protection District.
Fire officials said they hoped the birds would fly out on their own overnight, but the flock remained trapped at the base of the fireplace on Monday morning. Montecito Fire said it worked with Santa Barbara County Animals Services to devise a plan to free the small birds.
“County Animal Services worked diligently throughout the day to design a chute system to funnel the birds out of the fireplace and release them through the home’s back doors,” Montecito Fire wrote on Facebook. Credit: Montecito Fire via Storyful