More than a dozen people have been displaced after a fire broke out at a Springfield apartment building Monday night.
Crews responded to reports of a fire in the 1000 block of S. Fountain Ave Monday evening.
Jeff Smith, of Springfield, witnessed the fire. He told News Center 7 that it took him a minute to process what he saw when he walked out his back door last night around 6:15 p.m.
“Saw flames shooting from the back of the house,” Smith said.
He then called 911 and Springfield Fire crews were there within in minutes.
When crews arrived on scene, a heavy amount of fire was coming out of the rear the four-unit apartment building, officials with the Springfield Fire Rescue Division said in a social media post.
Firefighters were able to get the fire under control in just over an hour.
Thirteen people were displaced as result of the fire and are being assisted by the Red Cross, officials said. No one was injured.
Smith said he was relieved no one was hurt.
“We hate to see it, but the house is largely enact and sill within range of repairable, and everyone’s OK,” Smith said.
>> Rick Chamberlin announces retirement as Dayton head coach
An preliminary investigation revealed that the fire was started by an unattended candle.
“As we move into the holiday season, everyone should be mindful of always monitoring candles and cooking, and not overloading the electrical system with festive lights,” officials advised.
We’re working to learn more.