• Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

2 men hospitalized after explosion at Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop store

·2 min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Two men were hospitalized after they sustained burns at Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop store in Long Island.

A police blotter in The East Hampton Star said that officers responded to a "strange scene" at Goop's 4 Bay Street location in Sag Harbor on June 25.

The two men told police that rubbing alcohol had been placed in some of the candles in the store, which caused a "large explosion and flames."

The officers then acted fast and applied ice packs to the victims' wounds before they were taken to the hospital. One man, who suffered from a large burn on his back and ears, was flown out by a helicopter to Stony Brook University Hospital and the other person who sustained facial burns was transported to Southampton Hospital in an ambulance.

According to People, Sag Harbor Village Chief of Police Austin J. McGuire said that he had seen "nothing like this" in the 26 years that he's been working as an officer, and said that the rubbing alcohol had been added to the candles to melt marshmallows for s'mores after a store employee had seen the technique on social media. The department did not respond to a request for comment from TODAY at the time of publication.

McGuire added that things probably would've been worse if a fire extinguisher wasn't on site.

A representative for Goop did get back to TODAY, saying "the information about the rubbing alcohol and candles is factually incorrect.”

They said there “was an accidental fire in connection with a s’mores station at the goop store last Saturday.”

“We are wishing a speedy recovery to the two injured parties and are grateful there were no additional injuries. No candles were in use at the time of the accidental fire,” the representative continued.

Reported: