MCHENRY COUNTY, IL — July 4 is quickly approaching, which means it's time to find out what Fourth of July fireworks and festivities are going on near you this Independence Day. Many popular fireworks shows in the area, including displays in Cary and Crystal Lake, have been cancelled or postponed this year.
But there is at least one town, McHenry, that plans to offers July 4th fireworks this year.
- Do you know of more fireworks displays planned nearby this year? E-mail Amie at email@example.com and we'll include in our roundup.
Here's what's in store this July 4 in McHenry County:
- What: 4th of July Fireworks in McHenry
- Where: This year's fireworks will not be held in Peterson Park. Instead, the fireworks will be shot off at Knox Park/Municipal Park and in the area of Fox Ridge Park. The locations will not be accessible to the public or to vehicular or pedestrian traffic, according tothe 4th of July fireworks page set up by the city of McHenry. The goal, city officials said, is to "bring this celebration to as many homes in McHenry as possible."
- When: Fireworks will begin at 9:30 p.m. on Saturday, July 4, and will run for 20 to 25 minutes
CANCELLED: Lakeside Festival, Fireworks Show in Crystal Lake
- The 41st Annual Lakeside Festival scheduled for July 2 through July 5 at Lakeside Arts Park at the Dole in Crystal Lake has been postponed to a date in September or early October 2020, festival organizers announced in May.
More via Patch: 2020 Lakeside Festival Postponed
CANCELLED: Cary's Summer Celebration
- Cary's Summer Celebration, which includes July 4th festivities and fireworks at Lion's Park, has been cancelled. Cary Park District officials are hopeful they will be able to shoot off fireworks at some point later this year.
More via Patch: Cary's Summer Celebration Has Been Cancelled
CANCELLED/RESCHEDULED: Huntley's Fireworks Show
- The July 4th fireworks show at Diecke Park in Huntley has been rescheduled to Sept. 5. If it rains on that date, the fireworks will be held on Sept. 6.
CANCELLED: Spring Grove Fireworks, Parade
- The Spring Grove fireworks show and parade will not be held this year. "Our community and volunteers are our family and we owe it to you to give you the very best that we possibly can in a safe environment and don't believe we can do that due to the uncertainty of this pandemic and the Governors orders" according to information posted on Spring Grove 4th of July website.
Due to the pandemic, counties or cities may adjust or cancel events at the last minute. Check your event before you go. Know of other events in the area? Post them on the Patch calendar or share details on our free Neighbor Post feature.
- Check out this roundup of everything from barbecue essentials to patriotic table decor to be sure your July 4 is the best in the USA.