21 residents evacuated following apparent carbon monoxide leak in Queens

Operations at the scene determined that high levels of carbon monoxide were present and nearby residents were quickly evacuated.

Video Transcript

- Breaking news this morning in Queens where at least 21 people have been evacuated from their homes following an apparent carbon monoxide leak. This was just before midnight when the FDNY units responded to a call of gas odor in the area of 81st Street and Jackson Heights. Operations at the scene determined that high levels of carbon monoxide were there. And nearby residents were quickly evacuated.

- It was something like a-- for a surprise when those things happen. And hopefully, we was awake. And the neighbors, everybody, was, you know, calling each other. The neighbor just call me-- with the fire department and took me out very fast.

- They believe at least eight people have been injured. Among all of the residents, four patients transported to a nearby hospital. The remaining four treated at the scene.