3 people displaced after their Shell Point home catches fire Monday, officials say

Burton Fire District
·1 min read

Two people had minor injuries after a fire Monday night damaged their L.H. Nelson Drive home in Burton, according to Burton Fire District officials.

Firefighters got to the Shell Point neighborhood around 2 a.m., said Capt. Dan Byrne, a spokesperson for the fire district. Firefighters believe the fire started from a candle that was left on in one of the bedrooms. Only one bedroom was damaged, but the home had smoke damage where it started, Byrne said. There was smoke damage throughout the home.



Two of the three people who live in the home — a mother, a father and their adult son — were injured. One person had minor burns and the other was hurt while trying to get out the door. Both were treated on the scene and were not taken to the hospital, Byrne said.

The family was displaced and is being helped with basic necessities like shelter, food and clothing from the Red Cross, Byrne said.

Anyone who wishes to donate may do so by calling the Burton Fire District at 843-255-8011 or by visiting www.redcross.org to donate to the American Redd Cross disaster relief fund.