5 people hospitalized after carbon monoxide emergency in Portland apartment

PORTLAND, Ore. (KOIN) – Five people were hospitalized on Sunday after a carbon monoxide emergency in an apartment building, sparking warnings from Portland Fire & Rescue about the gas poisoning as the region faces frigid temperatures.

Just before 3 p.m. Sunday, PF&R said they initially found four patients on the scene near Southeast 148th and Powell who were conscious and breathing.

According to PF&R a total of five people were hospitalized after fire crews found a high volume of carbon monoxide and evacuated nearby apartments.

Officials said the emergency was a result of residents using a generator and cooking with propane indoors.

Homeownership now ‘unaffordable’ in these 10 Oregon and Washington counties: study

The emergency happened after an Arctic blast hit the Pacific Northwest on Saturday — bringing snow, ice, and wind to the region and knocked out power for thousands of people in the area.

“Do not use generators indoors because carbon monoxide is a silent, colorless, odorless, tasteless killer,” PF&R warned.

PF&R additionally told KOIN 6 News, “PF&R urges the community to avoid using generators inside the home as an auxiliary power source. If a generator is available for use, operate the generator outdoors in a well ventilated area with the exhaust facing away from any intake vents to the home preventing any toxic fumes from being trapped indoors.”

For the latest news, weather, sports, and streaming video, head to KOIN.com.