KATERYNA TYSHCHENKO – SATURDAY, 17 SEPTEMBER 2022, 23:31
Experts have exhumed 59 bodies from the mass burial site in the city of Izium, in Kharkiv Oblast, as of the evening of Saturday, 17 September.
Source: Oleh Syniehubov, Head of the Kharkiv Oblast Military Administration, on Telegram
Quote: "As of today [17 September], experts from the National Police in Kharkiv Oblast have exhumed 59 bodies in Izium.
Bodies of 16 civilian men and 26 women will be taken for further examination. [Bodies of] 17 soldiers [were also exhumed].
Experts report that the majority have signs of violent death."
Previously: Syniehubov said that among the bodies exhumed from the mass burial site in Izium on Friday, 16 September, 99% have signs of violent death.
A mass grave containing 440 bodies was found in the liberated city of Izium, in Kharkiv Oblast.
Oleh Kotenko, Commissioner for Persons Missing Under Special Circumstances, said that the number of people killed in Izium may be several times higher than that reported after the Bucha tragedy.
Dmytro Lubinets, Ukraine’s Human Rights Commissioner, told reporters that 20 servicemen of the Armed Forces of Ukraine have been found buried with their hands tied behind their backs in Izium.
President Volodymyr Zelenskyy of Ukraine discussed evidence of war crimes committed by Russian occupying forces in the recently liberated city of Izium in Kharkiv Oblast. He confirmed that the UN will send a mission to Kharkiv Oblast [to investigate these crimes].