8 Best Clothes Dryers of 2021
We updated this guide in November 2021 to include new winners based on updated testing by Carolyn Forte, Director of the Home Appliances and Cleaning Products Lab at the Good Housekeeping Institute, and removed sold out and discontinued products. Our new picks include the Speed Queen 7 Cu. Ft. 8 -Cycle Electric Dryer.
It’s true, there aren’t as many decisions to make when buying a new dryer compared to a new washing machine, but today's models incorporate new technologies, like heat pumps to save energy, can come vented or ventless, have specialty cycles to steam and sanitize, work with Wi-Fi and apps, and more. It's a lot to consider! And that's why the Good Housekeeping Institute Cleaning Lab can help you make the best choice for your home and your family.
Our Cleaning Lab pros test dryers by considering features, drum capacity, footprint, ease of use and — above all — performance. Scroll to the bottom of this article for more information on how we test and what to keep in mind when shopping for a new dryer. Here are our top picks for the best clothes dryers:
- Best Overall Dryer: GE 7.8 cu. ft. Capacity Smart Front Load Gas Dryer
- Best Value Dryer: Amana 6.5 Cu. Ft. 11-Cycle Electric Dryer
- Best Dryer for Big Families: Maytag 8.8 Cu. Ft. 14-Cycle Gas Dryer
- Easiest to Use Dryer: GE 7.4 cu. ft. Capacity Aluminized Alloy Drum Gas Dryer
- Best Luxury Dryer: LG 9.0 Cu. Ft. 14-Cycle Smart Wi-Fi Gas Steam Dryer
- Most Innovative Dryer: Samsung 7.5 cu. ft. FlexDry Electric Dryer
- Best Steam Dryer: LG Styler Steam Clothing Care System
- Best Dryer for Pet Owners: Speed Queen 7 Cu. Ft. 8 -Cycle Electric Dryer
GH LAB TIP: Before you head out shopping, make sure to accurately measure the space where your new dryer will go, keeping in mind allowances to open and close doors in the room as well as on the appliance.
The best electric and gas clothes dryers at all price points. We tested new, reliable laundry dryers that boast faster, gentler cycles and energy savings.