‘So thankful’: Escape plan saves family of 9 from house fire
A Rowan County family credits their fire escape plan for getting all nine members out of their burning home safely.
Crews were called to a three-story home just after 5 a.m. Saturday along Mount Vernon Road, just off Cool Springs Road in the northwestern part of the county.
ALSO READ: Large fire burns at industrial facility in North Carolina
Heather Bowers told Channel nine her family evacuated the three-story house to the playground after they noticed smoke in their home.
“Our oldest, he’s 16,” she said. “He grabbed our three-year-old out of the bed, and I grabbed the baby and then my husband grabbed her car seat and diaper bag.”
Bowers taught her kids at a young age to get out and meet at the family playground.
“My husband would do drills,” she said. “He would do the alarms and (ask), ‘What are you supposed to do?’ And they knew what to do. So having that plan in place is important.”
Bowers said they were able to salvage photo albums, a Bible, and a family heirloom.
“There were of course a lot of things in there we weren’t able to save,” Bowers said. “The most important things are our children.”
The Greater Carolinas Chapter of the Red Cross and the community has been assisting the family who was displaced.
“There are so many people,” Bowers said. “I know their names, but I don’t know who they are. And they’ve stepped out and helped us and I just I’m so thankful.”
The Scotch-Irish Fire Department was assisted by other departments to put out the fire.
At 0510, Scotch-Irish FD was dispatched to a working structure fire, 700 Mt Vernon Rd, Woodleaf. First due arrived and found fire showing from a three story dwelling. @GCRRedCross assisting 9 displaced, no injuries. #RowanNCFire pic.twitter.com/EWwbgzp14W
— Rowan County 990 (@CFP387) February 18, 2023
No one was hurt during the fire.
The state fire marshal recommends drawing a floor plan of your home, labeling all doors and windows, and finding two escape routes from each room.
You should test your smoke alarms monthly and practice your emergency plan twice a year.
(WATCH BELOW: Residents evacuated after apartment fire in University City, officials say)