Adams County coroner called to early-morning house fire in Butler Township

·1 min read

A 100-year-old man died in a house fire Thursday morning in Butler Township, according to the Adams County Coroner's Office.

He was identified as Samuel Helsley.

Biglerville Hose & Truck Company Fire Chief Chris MacBeth said the call came about 1:13 a.m. for a fire with possible entrapment in the 300 block of Arendtsville Road.

'Dangerous joyride' with mattress: Man pleads guilty after 2 severely hurt in York County

Where's the beef?: Grocers in south central Pennsylvania struggle to keep shelves full as pandemic wears on

MacBeth said fire was showing from the front door of the home when they arrived, and the working fire call was sent with the request for more help. Two additional companies arrived to fight the fire found on the first floor and in the basement.

Approximately 30 to 40 firefighters responded to the scene, MacBeth said.

According to Adams County Coroner Pat Felix, Helsley lived in the house by himself.

"When the fire department arrived on the scene, they did a search and found him in the bedroom and removed him from the residence," Felix said.

Felix said they will conduct a toxicology report to determine if Helsley's death was medical or smoke inhalation, which may take several weeks before results are known.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.

Shelly Stallsmith is a trends reporter for the York Daily Record. She can be reached at mstallsmith@ydr.com or followed on Twitter at @ShelStallsmith.

This article originally appeared on York Daily Record: Fatal fire: Adams County coroner called to early-morning blaze

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting