Happy Sunday, people of Tampa! Let's get you all caught up on what's happening locally to start today off on an informed note.
First, today's weather:
Partly sunny; breezy, humid. High: 82 Low: 62.
Rent this space!
Are you a local business owner or marketer in Tampa? We'd love to start showcasing trusted businesses who can solve problems for our amazing local readers. Click here to learn how it works.
Here are the top five stories today in Tampa:
1. AdventHealth Tampa delivered its first baby of 2022. Baby Jaquon Edwards Junior was born on New Year’s Day at 1:49 am. Baby Edwards arrived weighing 7 lbs. 5 ounces and measured 21.5 inches in length. (ABC Action News)
2. The men’s basketball game scheduled for New Year's Day between the University of South Florida and East Carolina University was postponed because of COVID-19 protocols in the ECU basketball program, according to USF. (WFLA)
3. Tampa Bay Hires hosted its first graduation event for young adults from ages 16 to 24 that completed their GED last month. CareerSource Tampa Bay works with businesses and candidates to leverage their training, retraining and competitive opportunities in the workforce. (Osprey Observer)
4. Florida Fish and Wildlife is asking for Floridians to be on the lookout for striped skunks and spotted skunks. They re-shared a post on social media that they originally posted in August 2021 asking for the public's help. (Spectrum News 13)
5. Authorities are searching for men after they are suspected of damaging the Southernmost Point buoy in Key West at 3 a.m. on Saturday. Police say the two suspects placed a Christmas tree in front of the landmark and lit it on fire. (WSVN)
Today in Tampa:
Hyde Park Village Fresh Market. (10:00 AM)
Sunday Yoga With Union Three Studio at Hotel Haya. (10:30 AM)
Annual High Hopes In High Heels' Reinvigorating Retreat at The Lotus Pond Center For Yoga And Health. (12:00 PM)
Basic Cheesemaking: Mozzarella And Feta at Sweetwater Organic Community Farm. (1:00 PM)
Men's Basketball Palm Beach Atlantic vs. University of Tampa. (4:00 PM)
From my notebook:
Florida reported 56,865 new COVID-19 cases on Saturday, continuing a record-setting week that has also seen a steady increase in infected hospital patients, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control. (Sun Sentinel)
At Tampa International Airport, 60 flights were delayed and 43 were canceled on Saturday morning. (Tampa Bay Times)
The Tampa Bay Buccaneers will play the New York Jets in an away game today in at 1:00 p.m. The game will be available to watch on FOX. (ESPN)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Marathon Mania (January 2)
FREE WEBINAR | “Rome: The Eternal City” Presented by Dr. Rocky Ruggiero (January 4)
Loving the Tampa Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
Send a friend or neighbor this link so they can subscribe
Become a supporter (there are perks!)
Get your local business showcased in front of readers
Send me a news tip or suggestion at firstname.lastname@example.org
That's it for today. I'll see you soon!
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.