Afghans: NATO airstrike killed women, children

Afghan victims of a suicide attack are seen on stretchers at a hospital in Kandahar, south of Kabul, Afghanistan, Wednesday, June 6, 2012. Two suicide bombers blew themselves up in a market area in southern Afghanistan on Wednesday, killing and wounding scores of people, authorities said. (AP Photo/Allauddin Khan)

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — Afghan officials and residents say a pre-dawn NATO airstrike aimed at militants in eastern Afghanistan killed civilians celebrating a wedding, including women and children.

An Associated Press photographer saw the bodies of five women, seven children and six men piled in the back of vans that villagers drove to the capital of Logar province to protest Wednesday's strike on a house in the volatile Baraki Barak district.

The villagers say all of those killed had been at a wedding. Afghan government officials said militants were also among the dead.

NATO says it has no reports of civilians killed in the overnight raid to capture a local Taliban leader.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The U.S.-led coalition says one of its helicopters has crashed in Afghanistan, killing two NATO service members.

The coalition released no other information about the crash Wednesday in eastern Afghanistan and it was not immediately clear whether it was an accident. The cause of the crash is being investigated.