As much fun as it was to tear off wrappings and bear hug the giver, now it’s time to figure out what to do with the air fryer you got for Christmas.
More than you think. Countertop deep fat fryers are long gone and “oven fried” chicken rolled in crushed cornflakes has lost its appeal.
Not exactly instant gratification, air fryers must be pre-heated. Recipes call for little or sometimes no oil at all. Less oil, less fat, fewer calories and improved odds for New Year’s resolutions.
Preheating also provides enough time to add great flavor.
Why batter drip or bread when “nekkid” chicken strips are good as grilled without going outside on a cold day.
NEKKID CHICKEN STRIPS
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in ¾ -inch thick strips
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1. Combine dry ingredients in a plastic zip bag. Add chicken strips and toss to coat.
2. Preheat air fryer to 400 degrees. Grease the fryer basket with nonstick spray.
3. Place chicken strips in a single layer in basket. Air fry for 13 minutes, turning once. Makes 4 servings.
PARMESAN POTATO WEDGES
4 medium Russet potatoes, washed and cut in wedges
¼ cup olive oil
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees 20 minutes. Combine garlic powder, Italian seasoning, salt and cheese in a small bowl.
2. Place cut potato wedges in a large bowl; add olive oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle dry ingredients over potatoes and toss to coat.
3. Place potato wedges in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Air fry for 10 minutes, turn and bake 10 minutes more. Makes 4 servings
AIR FRIED SQUASH
2 yellow squash or zucchini, washed, ends trimmed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat air fryer to 450 degrees. Cut squash or zucchini in ½-inch slices; place in large bowl. In a small bowl combine cornmeal, onion powder, salt and pepper.
2. Pour oil over squash, toss to coat. Add dry ingredients and toss to coat.
3. Place squash in a single layer in fryer basket. Cook 12 to 15 minutes or until golden brown, Makes 4 servings.
AIR FRIED OREOS
1 large egg
¼ cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup baking mix
1. Prepare baking parchment to fit air fryer basket and spray lightly with nonstick spray. Preheat air fryer to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk together egg, milk, vanilla, sugar and baking mix until smooth and thick enough to coat the cookies. Let excess batter drip off.
3. Arrange dipped cookies on prepared baking parchment without them touching.
4. Air fry about 7 minutes or until golden brown. Dust with powdered sugar before serving.
This article originally appeared on Wichita Falls Times Record News: Air fryer aids New Year’s resolutions for healthier eating