Ammonia leak detected at Strip District building in Pittsburgh

Joe Napsha, Tribune-Review, Greensburg, Pa.
·1 min read

May 5—A Pittsburgh hazmat crew was able to clear the way for repairmen to fix an ammonia leak in a building in Pittsburgh's Strip District on Tuesday night, a Public Safety spokesperson said.

The leak occurred at Consumer's Produce on 21st Street, officials said. The city's hazmat team was alerted around 8 p.m. about the smell of ammonia in the building.

The hazmat team checked ammonia levels in the building and determined at about 9 p.m. that it was safe enough for repair crews to enter if they were equipped with appropriate personal protection equipment.

No one was injured in the incident, the public safety department said.

Emergency medical services was setting up a triage and a decontamination area, according to the Public Safety department's Twitter announcement.

Joe Napsha is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Joe at 724-836-5252, jnapsha@triblive.com or via Twitter .