Columbus-based firm Porter Wright Morris & Arthur has informed a federal judge of its decision to pull out of the case.
After the 2020 election was called for President-elect Joe Biden, outgoing President Donald Trump announced lawsuits against states where the election results were not in his favor.
As theGrio reported, the firms contracted to represent Trump in his latest legal endeavor have mixed feelings about doing so. According to the report, attorneys have expressed concern over the election lawsuits and worry about undermining the electoral system. A lawyer at Jones Day, a Cleveland-based law firm, said the move “seems extremely shortsighted.”
But a recent statement released by Jones Day clarifies that they are only representing the Pennsylvania GOP in a case that involves the deadline for mail-in ballots in Pennsylvania that was filed before Election Day.
“Jones Day is not representing President Trump, his campaign, or any affiliated party in any litigation alleging voter fraud. Jones Day also is not representing any entity in any litigation challenging or contesting the results of the 2020 general election. Media reports to the contrary are false,” the memo stated.
Now, another law firm previously associated with election-related lawsuits is backing down. Porter Wright Morris & Arthur have notified a federal judge of their intent to leave the case, according to Politico.
Previously, theGrio reported that Porter Wright’s managing partner Robert J. Tannous said the Columbus, Ohio-based firm had a “long history of representing candidates, political parties, interest groups and individuals at the local, state and federal level on both sides of the aisle, and as a law firm will continue to do so.”
Politico reported the move comes after “Trump’s political opponents have sought to put public pressure on law firms” that are tasked with assisting the president’s efforts. Some Republicans affiliated with The Lincoln Project, a conservative group who worked to get Trump out of office, said they planned to pressure clients of the law firms to find new legal representation should they continue with the election lawsuits, according to Politico.
U.S. District Court Judge Michael Brann must approve the firm’s request as it was so close to the initial filing. According to the report, another law firm representing the Trump campaign, Arizona-based Snell & Wilmer, moved to withdraw from an election-related lawsuit and was granted the request on Tuesday. If Porter Wright lawyers are allowed to quit, the campaign will be led by a Philadelphia-based solo practitioner, Linda Kerns.
“Cancel Culture has finally reached the courtroom,” Trump campaign communications director said Tim Murtaugh in a statement to Politico. “Leftist mobs descended upon some of the lawyers representing the President’s campaign and they buckled.
He continued, “The President’s team is undeterred and will move forward with rock-solid attorneys to ensure free and fair elections for all Americans.”
theGrio reported the Trump campaign has laid off staff not assisting with the lawsuits though he has yet to concede the 2020 presidential election.
Have you subscribed to theGrio’s “Dear Culture” podcast? Download our newest episodes now!
TheGrio is now on Apple TV, Amazon Fire and Roku. Download theGrio.com today!
The post Another law firm backs out of Trump election lawsuits appeared first on TheGrio.