Rise and shine, Orlando! Let's get you started this Sunday with everything you need to know going on today in town.
First, today's weather:
Mostly sunny and pleasant. High: 79 Low: 61.
Rent this space:
Are you a local business owner or marketer in Orlando? We love showcasing trusted businesses who can solve problems for our amazing local readers. Learn more here.
Here are the top five stories in Orlando today:
1. An Apopka grandmother battling cancer and raising six grandchildren was gifted $10,000 in cash from the community and "Orlando Gives." Katina Lundy drives four hours roundtrip to Gainesville for her treatments and says "you never know who’s your angel." (Fox 35 Orlando)
2. A 6-year-old child and 2 adults were shot inside an Orange County home on Christmas Eve, police say. All the victims are expected to recover and are in the hospital. (WESH)
3. A Florida woman has been accused of defrauding the sheriff's office where she worked. 38-year-old Trent Kellee Freeman is charged with two counts of uttering a forged instrument and one count of scheme to defraud. Police say Freeman was not comatose, but actually working another full-time job while taking nearly $4,000 worth of sick time from concerned coworkers. (WESH)
4. Developers in Seminole County are looking to revamp the Jai Alai building in Fern Park into retail, residential and gambling space. The owner of the property said they plan to go before commissioners next month to pitch the proposal. (WFTV)
5. Walt Disney World has renamed its special passes given to charitable organizations to “Disney Wishes Pass” beginning Monday, January 10th. The pass had previously been known as the “Genie Wish Pass" and was changed to avoid confusion with the new "Disney Genie." (Walt Disney World News Today)
Today in Orlando:
Puppy Paddle In Paradise at Lake Ivanhoe Boat Ramp. (9:00 AM)
Orlando Farmers Market. (10:00 AM)
Hangover Brunch at The Brass Tap - Waterford Lakes. (11:00 AM)
Layla Brisbois Band at Boxi Park Lake Nona. (2:00 PM)
Orlando Solar Bears Vs. Florida Everblades. (7:00 PM)
From my notebook:
Barnett Park in Orlando reopens today for free COVID-19 vaccines and testing. Hours are 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., or until capacity is reached. Plan to arrive early. (Twitter)
All Orange County parks, facilities and campgrounds will re-open today. (Twitter)
Parking filled up at Orlando International Airport on Christmas Day and flights continued to be canceled as the holiday interruptions continued. (Fox 35 Orlando)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
A Killer Beaz New Year’s Eve- 2 Dinner & Show seatings (December 31)
Ring In the New Year With 15 Percent Off Beautiful Blooms From FTD! (December 31)
Loving the Orlando Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
Send a friend or neighbor this link so they can subscribe
Get your local business showcased in front of readers
Send me a news tip or suggestion at email@example.com
Thanks for following along and staying informed. I'll see you soon!
— Carlos Hernandez
About me: Hello my name is Carlos Hernandez and I am a food writer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. I write the food blog Carlos Eats (http://www.carloseats.com) and also contribute to several newspapers and magazines with food-related blogs and articles.