MILWAUKEE, WI — Days after Ascension Wisconsin rolled out several drive-through coronavirus testing sites, hospital officials say they've been inundated with calls - or people showing up unannounced - for testing at their St. Joseph's hospital in Milwaukee.
Hospital officials say this is causing problems for hospital workers because it's interfering with how the medical group is conducting drive-through testing.
"Ascension Wisconsin drive-through testing sites are by appointment only," officials said early Thursday. "We are asking the public not to call Ascension Wisconsin hospitals to schedule a testing appointment. We are [also] asking the public not to come to our mobile testing sites without an appointment."
Sign up for Patch alerts and daily newsletters. Don't miss local and statewide news about coronavirus developments and precautions.
Earlier this week, the Ascension Medical Group in Wisconsin launched drive-through testing for COVID-19 at eight of their clinics across the state, with plans to open more drive-through testing at three more sites. The drive-through testing is available in Franklin, Milwaukee, Mount Pleasant, Wauwatosa, Grafton and Brookfield with additional sites scheduled to open in Stevens Point, Rhinelander and Crandon.
The screening involves answering a series of questions about symptoms, travel history and any potential contact with COVID-19 patients. Hosptial officials say patients who meet the criteria, based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, will be given an appointment for drive-through testing at the appropriate site.
Patients Need To Be Pre-screened First
Ascension officials said people who want to be tested must be pre-screened.
Pre-screening is available online by using Ascension Online Care at ascension.org/OnlineCare or by calling an Ascension Wisconsin health care provider first, or by calling the Ascension COVID-19 Hotline at 833-981-0711.
Following the pre-screen, people will be guided to the best options for care and testing, if appropriate, officials said.
Ascension listed the following drive-through sites in Wisconsin communities:
● Ascension SE Wisconsin Hospital - Franklin Campus (Medical Office Building)
● Ascension Columbia St. Mary's Milwaukee - Gateway Clinic (West Allis)
● Ascension St. Francis Medical Arts Pavilion (Milwaukee)
● Ascension Wisconsin Health Center - Mount Pleasant Urgent Care
● Ascension SE Wisconsin Hospital - Mayfair Road Urgent Care (Wauwatosa)
● Grafton High School
● Ascension SE Wisconsin Hospital - St. Joseph Campus (Milwaukee)
● Ascension SE Wisconsin Hospital - Elmbrook Campus (Brookfield)
Additional locations will open later this week in Stevens Point, Rhinelander and Crandon, officials said.
- Wisconsin Coronavirus Tracker
- More Hospital Beds Needed
- Coronavirus Closures: Walmart, Woodman's, Target, Mayfair, More