- Oops!Something went wrong.Please try again later.
Nearly one month after 10 people were killed following the Astroworld Festival in Houston, rapper Megan Thee Stallion has canceled her upcoming concert in the city, she told local media outlets.
Her concert was scheduled for Dec. 3 at 713 Music Hall and would have kicked off a celebration of her graduation from Texas Southern University, KHOU reported.
“Out of respect for the lives lost in Houston earlier this month, I have decided to cancel my show at 713 Music Hall on Dec 3. Houston is still healing and it’s important that our community be given the appropriate time to grieve,” Megan Thee Stallion said in a statement to the Houston Chronicle. “My heart goes out to all the families that are suffering during this difficult time.”
The music venue has not publicly commented on the cancellation.
Megan Thee Stallion is finishing a year in which she is nominated for Best Rap Performance at the 2022 Grammy Awards. The Texas native previously won Best New Artist, Best Rap Performance and Best Rap Song at this year’s Grammy Awards.
Her decision to cancel her Houston show comes after the Nov. 5 Astroworld Festival, where 10 people ranging in age from 9 to 27 were killed in a chaotic scene during Travis Scott’s headlining set.
Fans were tightly packed during Scott’s set, causing attendees to be unable to move, the Associated Press reported. Fans of Scott said the rapper paused his set numerous times as chaos unfolded in front of him, but the show continued for nearly 40 minutes after it was ruled a “mass causality event” by city officials, according to The New York Times.
The tragedy triggered many lawsuits against Live Nation Entertainment and Scott, who put on the festival in his native Houston.
Scott has mostly stayed out of the public spotlight after Astroworld. He apologized and sent his condolences, while offering to pay for the funerals for the victims, NPR reported.