An Australian woman is in stable condition with "extremely serious" head injuries after being bitten by a shark on Friday, officials said.
The 32-year-old woman was rushed to the Flinders Medical Centre near Adelaide by emergency services just after 1:00 p.m. local time Friday. Police evacuated swimmers from the ocean at Port Noarlunga Jetty to search for the shark, South Australia police said in a news statement, but were not able to locate it.
— South Australia Police (@SAPoliceNews) November 10, 2023
There have been more than 1,100 individual investigations of shark bites in Australia since 1791, according to the Australian Shark Incident Database.
In 2022, Australia– with the United States being first. Although they had 16% of the world's total shark bites, Australia did not record any deaths from the bites until killed a man outside Sydney beach. It was the city's first fatal attack since 1963.
Earlier this month authorities searched for theafter he got bitten by a shark the length of a "sedan" off .
In August,after he got bitten by a shark on a beach outside of Sydney.
Jennifer Earl contributed reporting.