By Shadia Nasralla VIENNA (Reuters) - Austria will take tougher action to turn away economic migrants in order to reduce overall immigration as it sees little help from other European countries in stemming the flow of migrants arriving at its border, ministers said on Tuesday. Hundreds of thousands of people fleeing conflict and poverty in the Middle East, Afghanistan and elsewhere have entered Austria, many en route to Germany, in the past year. Around 90,000 of those sought asylum in Austria - a country of 8.5 million people - in 2015, around three times more than the previous year, Interior Ministry statistics show. No figures are given for economic migrants. Vice-Chancellor Reinhold Mitterlehner, from the conservative junior coalition party, said Austria was under pressure to act on a national level in the absence of help from EU neighbors. "I see nothing on the European level that points in the direction of taking actions," Mitterlehner told reporters, pointing to slow progress in setting up so-called hotspots on Europe's outer borders to speed up asylum processes. Interior Minister Johanna Mikl-Leitner said so-called Dublin rules had to be applied more firmly again, which would allow sending migrants back to the EU state they first arrived in. She also described as economic migrants those who fled from war, but traveled through several EU countries to settle in one they considered more affluent, such as Sweden or Germany, which is currently sending hundreds of migrants back to Austria. Chancellor Werner Faymann echoed her comments on the need to reduce the number of arrivals, calling for a Plan B. "That means to intensify policies together with Germany to send back economic migrants and decrease overall numbers," Social Democrat Faymann said in an interview with Austrian newspaper Krone published on Tuesday. GERMAN MOVES He said Austria needed to explore differentiating between those fleeing war and those who migrate for economic reasons. "We will be more active at our borders than today. The Germans will also do more," Faymann said, but declined to list specific measures in a news conference later on Tuesday. Previously more lenient on accepting migrants, Faymann has come under pressure from his conservative coalition partners and the far-right Freedom Party, which is supported by around a third of people surveyed in opinion polls. Last month, he said Austria should step up deportations of people who do not qualify for asylum. Austrian police said on Monday Germany was refusing more and more migrants entry at its southern border, sending a few hundred back to Austria every day since the start of January. The German Interior Ministry said on Tuesday the refugees and asylum seekers concerned had already said at the border crossing that they did not want to seek protection in Germany but rather elsewhere. Such people have been rejected at the border since border controls were introduced, the ministry said. "Germany has clearly in part said goodbye to its 'welcoming culture'," Mikl-Leitner told reporters in Vienna on Tuesday. Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann on Tuesday welcomed the police sending greater numbers of people back across the border in recent days, saying this was "sensible" and he hoped it would continue. He said he believed Austria was in contact with Slovenia and Croatia about how people could be sent back there. Attacks on women in several German cities on New Year's Eve have prompted hundreds of complaints, with police suspicion resting on asylum seekers, putting pressure on Chancellor Angela Merkel and her open-door migrant policy. (Reporting by Shadia Nasralla; Additional reporting by Michelle Martin in Berlin and Irene Preisinger in Munich; Editing by Alison Williams)
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Christopher Scarver, who killed Jeffrey Dahmer in prison, said in 2015 that he did it because Dahmer taunted inmates with food
In 2015, Christopher Scarver, the inmate who killed Jeffrey Dahmer, said he did it because Dahmer taunted inmates by shaping his food into body parts.
(Bloomberg) -- Donald Trump got the court-ordered review he wanted of documents seized from his Mar-a-Lago home as well as his preferred pick for a so-called special master to carry it out. But less than a month in, the former president has complaints about how that review is taking shape.Most Read from BloombergApple Ditches iPhone Production Increase After Demand FaltersGermany Suspects Sabotage Hit Russia’s Nord Stream PipelinesS&P 500 Roars Back From Six-Day Slide; Bonds Surge: Markets WrapP
Weather Channel Reporter Jim Cantore Hit By Flying Tree Branch As Category 4 Hurricane Ian Makes Landfall
Category 4 Hurricane Ian made landfall this afternoon near Fort Myers, Florida with maximum sustained winds of 155 mph. In doing so, it became the fifth-largest storm to hit the U.S. mainland — at least in recorded history — and the Weather Channel was there to cover it. Meteorologist Jim Cantore was at ground zero […]
- The New York Times
In lieu of a wedding announcement, billionaire philanthropist MacKenzie Scott’s second husband, Dan Jewett, a science teacher, proclaimed their marriage last year by publicly promising to join her in donating their enormous fortune to good causes. A year and a half later, his name has quietly vanished from her philanthropic endeavors. On the site for the Giving Pledge, where billionaires promise to give away half of their wealth before they die, his letter no longer appears with hers. Without fa
- E! News
One month after Megan Fox teased that she was considering starting an OnlyFans account, the actress took to the ‘gram to show off one of her boldest looks yet along with her cheeky sense of humor.
- The Telegraph
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been “demoted” on the Royal family’s website to bottom billing alongside the Duke of York.
An off-duty Massachusetts National Guard member aggressively confronted a tour bus full of senior citizens thinking they were migrants
In a livestream of the pursuit, the off-duty officer slammed US immigration policy and referenced DeSantis' sending migrants to Martha's Vineyard.
In order to ensure his children have a 'normal' upbringing, Prince William reportedly told royal staff they can't wear this particular item of clothing.
"While we are broken-hearted, we take comfort in the overwhelming love and support shown to our family by Robbie’s friends, colleagues and fans," the actor’s family said in a statement
- Spartanburg Herald-Journal
Hurricane Ian has now strengthened into a Category 3 hurricane. Here's what SC residents need to know and how it will impact them.
"Obviously this means the lawyer must have given Trump actual legal advice," mused one social media wit.
- The News-Press
Streaming with multiple cameras, Severe Studios, a camera at Fort Myers Beach went viral amid flooding from Hurricane Ian.
The original 'Sweet Home Alabama' ending was reshot because test audiences thought Reese Witherspoon's character died
Director Andy Tennant recalled to Insider what it was like to watch audiences go into shock thinking he killed off his lead in original ending.
- The Guardian
The mayor tweeted that the injured in the shooting at Sojourner Truth Independent Study alternative school were all adults
- Ukrayinska Pravda
ALONA MAZURENKO - WEDNESDAY, 28 SEPTEMBER 2022, 19:41 Russian media has talked with a Russian conscript who was sent to fight in Ukraine, specifically in Bucha, and then escaped from his battalion and returned to Russia.
Carlson's remarks came as Hurricane Ian, which knocked out power to Cuba, approached Florida's coast.
- Business Insider
Trump asked British Prime Minister Theresa May to 'imagine if some animals with tattoos raped your daughter' in conversation about abortion: book
The former president also reportedly described then-Vice President Mike Pence, an evangelical Christian, as the "tough one" on abortion.
The children of Prince Joachim, Queen Margrethe's second son, will be counts and countess instead of princes and princess
- Ukrayinska Pravda
IRYNA BALACHUK - WEDNESDAY, 28 SEPTEMBER 2022, 19:54 The Kremlin has decided not to rush the official "accession" of the occupied territories of Ukraine to Russia, and to postpone the closing of Russia's borders.
Trump Sued For A Quarter Billion Dollars — How The Former President's Foresight In Real Estate Could Soften The Blow And Teach Us All A Lesson
222 + 45 = $250,000,000. That’s right. A 222-page civil suit outlining the alleged gross negligence, fraud and scams conducted by the 45th President of the United States could result in a loss of $250 million. Donald Trump, whose Digital World Acquisition Corp. project has failed spectacularly, is facing serious charges. On Sept. 21, 2022, New York Attorney General Letitia James announced that the State of New York was filing a lawsuit against Trump for “violating the law, as part of his efforts